Bazley Beach, only 90 kms from Durban on the South Coast is the home of the well renowned MacNicol's Caravan and Camping Resort. The MacNicol family have been running this resort on the north bank of the Ifafa Lagoon for over 30 years and built up a great reputation as a family resort catering to the SA domestic market. The resort has access to the extensive Ifafa Lagoon and direct access onto the endless beaches. The resort has fully serviced caravan sites and a combination of Bungalows and Log Cabins. There are activities for bird lovers, trails, shore & lagoon fishing along with the wide open beaches for swimming. The resort has entertainment activities, pools recreational hall, volley ball, pubs, canoeing, and a shop, to mentions a few more of the attractions. Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org or see www.macnicol.co.za
Dalmore Guest farm is an active farm lying between Bergville & Winterton. The farmhouse was built in 1913 but fell into serious disrepair and used as labourers housing. The farmhouse has been recently restored by the Blackburn family and is now a well established Guest Lodge offering both self catering and meals. The farm borders the upper reaches of the Spionkop Dam and is close to the Nature Reserve and Spionkop battle field.
This album has images of the hotel, spa, original self catering farm house that belonged to Meg and Trevor Wilson and its extensive sports facilities. The MOTH remembrance wall facing the Drakensberg features as part of the images in the album. Below is an extract from the Champagne Sorts web-site "Over the years, our Champagne Sports Resort team have crafted our offerings to create an award-winning resort, perfect for work and play. It’s not an easy balance to achieve, but we believe we have developed a truly unique destination that caters for every getaway need – all set in spectacular natural surroundings. Champagne Sports Resort has a Conference and Exhibition Centre with a floor space of 1200m2 (usable area), seating up to 1400 delegates and banqueting 850 guests at round tables, as well as 4 new boardrooms. We now offer a total of 16 conference venues. Other venues include the Sentinel Room which seats up to 1000 delegates, the Monks Cowl Centre, seating up to 550 delegates, the Summit Room seating up to 400 delegates and the more intimate venues ranging between 150 delegates, down to the private boardrooms seating up to a maximum of 20 people. State-of-the-art conference equipment, internet access and a convenient business centre complete the package. Little Explorers is our exciting kid’s entertainment facility, Game On is the teen and adult games room and coffee shop with adjoining lounge. Little Explorers has a dining room for the younger children wanting to eat earlier. The Wellness Centre features an upmarket spa, and the gym has been upgraded. The spa has five treatment rooms, comfortable change rooms and relaxing rest area with cane loungers looking up at the Champagne and Cathkin peaks. Our clubhouse overlooks a hidden golfing treasure. This top 30 ranked 18 hole championship golf course has been rated as SA’s most beautiful golf course in recent years, with the clubhouse rated in the top five 19th holes in South Africa". This album also has images of Gracelands, a guest house that has majestic views over Champagne Sports.
The Creighton Paton Country Rail operates out of Creighton, crosses the Umzimkulu River, and then runs alongside the Ngogwana River before arriving at the derelict village of Riverside. The rail uses a couple of steam trains and usually the 19 D Class GMAM Garratt. The train runs on special occasions throughout the year but is well known for its trips over the Aloe Festival, in June and July when the aloes are at their peak of flower. This album has images of the engine , different carriage configurations, municipal offices, Riverside stop and the widespread display of aloes.
Lake Navarone, is a resort situated in the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg. The accommodation is self catering cottages on the banks of two lakes nestled in the protected valley. The resort has a wide variety of activities, such as fishing, canoeing and numerous trails. It is also close to the Drakensberg Gardens Golf and Time Share resort and the Garden Castle Nature Reserve. This album has images of the accommodation, stunning views, walks and flora in the resort.
Drakensberg Cathedral Peak Hotel was established in the 1930's by the Albert Van Der Riet and continues to be a family owned and run hotel. The area in which the hotel is established is part of the Drakensberg World Heritage area and nestles in the foothills of the mountains dominated by the Cathedral Peaks. The hotel caters on a full board basis and has activities ranging from golf to tennis, bowls, hikes, helicopter flights, fishing and much more. The hotel has been expanded considerably, however the original sandstone footprint still takes centre stage.
The award winning Cavern Berg hotel is nestled into the mountains in the Oliviershoek area of the Drakensberg. The hotel is built on one of the old Boer farms in the area and is surrounded by the mountains and forest. The forest attracted early attention for it timber and in particular its giant yellowwood trees. The saw pits used to carve up this timber are still evident on the nature trails surrounding the hotel. The hotel was established in the late 1930's by Bill and Ruth Carte is still in family hands to this day. Many additions have been done over the years to the facilities and the accommodation.
Didima and Cathedral Peak are resorts situated in the foothills of the Drakensberg Mountains, a World Heritage site. Cathedral Peak is a well known hotel which is popular with families and has numerous attractions like the golf course and usual games facilities. As with Didima which has a self catering, with access to dining facilities, one of the main attractions is the numerous mountain hikes and trails. At Didima there is also a chapel and comprehensive rock art centre. This album features some of what can be expected by a visitor to these resorts with the Berg as its backdrop landscape.
The eNcome Museum is situated across the river from the Blood River Monument. The eNcome Museum records the events that took place here in 1838, giving the history and backdrop to the defeat of the Zulu impi by the Boers. The Museum also gives a graet deal of information on the Zulu Kingdom, it's heritage and lineage. The site also has large auditorium and conference centre.
Durban\'s Golden beaches provide a paradise for bathers, surfers, jet skis , walking, and many more activities catered for along the eight kilometres of beachfront from the harbour mouth to Blue Lagoon. This album has photos along this beach area with a range of varying moods from sunrise to sunset along with aerial views of the beaches.
The Natal Agricultural and Horticultural Society was founded in 1848 and the first gardens established by Dr Charles Johnston on the south bank of the Umgeni River in 1849. The gardens were relocated from Umgeni River to the present site on the Berea thanks to marauding hippos helping themselves to plants. The Berea Botanic Gardens were laid out in 1851 under the guidance of Mark McKen (1850s/1860s). McKen had been responsible for introducing avocados, pawpaw, and mango into Natal. The gardens, Africa’s oldest surviving Botanical Gardens, cover an area of 15 hectares and water supplied from a 50000-gallon reservoir in the gardens. They were a public facility and to provide a home for newly discovered specimens destined for Kew Gardens in London. In 1881 the running of the gardens was transferred from the founding society to the Durban Botanic Society. The Durban Botanic Garden’s Medley Wood House was the original residence built in 1889 for the Curator of the Gardens, John Medley Wood (1882-1913), who had been appointed curator in 1882. The house has been restored and in 1986 the Department of Agriculture and Water Supply received a Conservation Award from the Durban City Council. This Victorian building with its green roof, red brick, wrap-around verandahs, decorative trellis work above the verandah posts and encaustic tiles on the veranda floors, gives the house its distinctive look. The house was funded by the public and fund raising by selling plants at a bazaar at the City Hall. A total of 1147 Pounds was raised, and the house completed in July 1890. The Natal Government Herbarium was established in 1882 and designed by the Public Works Department. It replaced a wood and iron building. The present Herbarium built in 1902 has an inset veranda, between two end-gables, with classical pediments. The interior has ornate pressed metal ceilings with offices each end. Since 1913 it has be used as offices, specimen storage, for botanical research and now also for training by the Department of Agriculture’s, South African National Biodiversity Institute or SANBI. About an acre of land was excised from the Botanic Gardens and the Herbarium and Medley House was transferred to the Union Department of Agriculture.
Durban's Kwa Muhle Museum was the former offices of the Port Natal Bantu Affairs Board but now features displays relating to the Apartheid " Durban System " and the struggle for dignity by its citizens. The album also has images of the Delville Wood exhibition set up in the Museum to commemorate this devastating battle where so many SA lives were lost.
The flight from Virginia in Durban takes one down some of the coastal region for which this Province relies for much of its tourism. This album covers the trip from Virginia, over the Umgeni and follows the beaches to the harbour mouth and the Bluff. Following along this route takes one past Isipingo, Amanzimtoti, Kingsburgh, Illovo, Umkomaas, Scottburgh, and then on to Sezela Sugar Mill. The trip doesn't stop, with views of Umdoni , St Michaels, Margate , Uvongo and terminating ta Port Edward on the Umtamvuma River. Enjoy the aerial flip.
The Homestead is a three star resort in the centre of Geluksburg, and has 26 rooms, and caters for weddings, conferences, and general accommodation. It was owner Pennie Human's father who built the resort, and now Pennie is continuing the tradition, and personally ensures guests are looked after. The Homestead has well furnished rooms, and the hotel caters for meals in its dining room. Other facilities include a bar, games room and swimming pool. The Homestead is in the heart of mountain pass country, with Bezuidenhouts, Van Reenens, Retiefs, Oliviershoek and Middledale passes all within close driving distance. Contacts: 00-27036-4481328 and www.thehomestead.co.za
Giants Castle in the Drackensberg Mountains (a world heritage site,is the site of many of the protected Bushmen paintings found in the area with a comprehensive display in the protected caves. Ezemvelo Conservation runs well kept accommodation in the close proximity of the Bushmen Caves. En route to the caves, one comes across Rock 75 which is a carving into the rock made by the 75th Regiment in 1874 under the leadership of Colonel A.W.Durnford.(Isandlwana fame) His mission was to prevent stock theft by the Amahlubi tribe hiding out in Lesotho. The St Andrews Retreat B & B was formerly a sanstone church built by E.A.Thompson to serve the area and the Weenen County College & Weston College. The Chuch is beautifully restored with fine stain glass windows and plaques to those who lost their lives in WWI. The cemetery has graves of some of the early residents of the area, like J.W.Moor (died 1907), one of the first owners of Hertford.
Adventure and novelist, Sir Henry Rider Haggard was born 22 June 1856 at Bradenham, Norfolk, UK, the son of Sir William Rider Haggard. Haggards father send him to South Africa in 1875 to be assistant to the secretary of Sir Henry Bulwer, Lieutenant Governor of the Colony of Natal and old friends of the Haggard family. Haggard was to travel out with Bulwer and after a stopover in Cape Town arrived in Durban aboard the Florence.He later joined Sir Theophilus Shepstone, Commissioner for the Transvaal, as a member of his staff and witnessed the annexation of the Boer Republic of Transvaal, in April 1877, and ran up the British flag. Haggard met and married Marianna Louisa Margitson (1859-1943) on 11 August 1880 and returned to South Africa that same year. The intention was to join his friend Cochrane, farming ostriches at Hilldrop. In 1882, Haggard moved back to England, where he studied law and was called to the bar in 1884. He however was an uncommitted lawyer and commenced his writing career after settling in Hammersmith. It was King Solomon’s Mines (1885), that brought him fame, followed by She (1887), Allan Quartermain (1887) and sequel Ayesha. Rider Haggard’s book Jess is based on his time whilst at Hilldrop and his experiences farming ostrich, the travails of flooded rivers. In the book the farm Mooifontein can be recognised, as can Lion Kloof, the hill directly behind Hilldrop. Haggard was appointed Knight Batchelor in 1912 and Knight Commander of the British Empire in 1919 (KCMG). The original home built in 1875, forms the core of the bed and breakfast, built in 1981 stood on the 3-hectare site originally, the farm Rooipoint and later Mooifontein. Haggard had bought the farm with his partner Cochrane where they intended to farm cattle and ostriches. Haggard lived in this brown stone, thatched house at the foot of Lions Kloof, a kopjie, from 1881 until he left South Africa in 1882. The arrival of Haggard and his wife Louie had coincided with the outbreak of the first Anglo Boer War, and for a few days the family was laagered in Newcastle. After the losses at Majuba, a truce was signed on 6 March 1881, in the small cottage belonging to the O’Neil’s on Laings Nek. Hilldrop was rented out to British officials, including Sir Hercules Robinson presiding over the Royal Commission into the Majuba ‘affair’, for 50 pounds a week until 2 June 1881. The rent had alleviated Haggard and Cochrane’s poor financial state, whilst the family in the in the interim lived in the barns and mill-house. The events that had transpired had persuaded Haggard, that there was no future in South Africa, and he left in August 1881. The farm was left in the hands of George and a Mr North, the farm’s miller. Only two years later 29 April 1883 was the partnership dissolved and the farm sold. The furniture had been auctioned on 23 August 1881 when the Haggards left the farm, in the last weeks of August and Natal aboard the Dunkeld on 31 August 1882. The farm produced hay and mielies and erected a steam driven grinding mill and hired out wagons to the Government. Haggard’s Hilldrop house, on the outskirts of Newcastle was declared a National Monument in 1981. Haggard left after the first Anglo Boer War in 1881, after the terms of the peace accord had been negotiated in his home, after the defeat of the British at Majuba and signing of the truce at O’Neil’s Cottage. This resulted in the return of the Transvaal to the Boers. The irony was not lost on Haggard who had raised the annexation flag in Pretoria five years prior. Haggard revisited the Union of South Africa in 1914, for the first time since 1881 and reunited in Pietermaritzburg with his old servant friend Mazooku (correct spelling Masuku), who features in some of his books. Information from his visit to Mazooku and an old Zulu, Socwatsha, was the background for another book, Finished. Haggard and Mazooku, toured many parts of Zululand including Isandlewana and Nkandla, before taking leave of Mazooku for the last time in Pietermaritzburg. He was one of six Royal Commissioners reporting on the Dominions. He revisited Hilldrop and wandered around all his old haunts, before leaving for the last time. Haggard died on 14 May 1925 in Ditchingham, England and is buried under a marble slab in St Mary’s Church.
Hluhluwe Game Reserve is the oldest reserve in KZN and is home to the big five and many more species. The reserve has a varied geography from the hills where the Hilltop Camp is situated, down to the lower levels of the Hluhluwe river. This album has images of some of the flora, fauna, and accommodation which includes Hilltop and some of the bush camps for smaller parties. Hluhluwe is the northern reserve making up the combines Umfolosi - Hluhluwe Park.
The Umgeni ValleyNature Reserve is to the north east of Howick and comprises upper grasslands inhabited with antelope, and the lower Umgeni River valley below the Howick falls. The Reserve is owned and controlled by WESSA and has an environmental education centre, chalets and lodges. The reserve has many antelope and an abundance of birdlife and is traversable by car and designated walking trails.
Ithala Game Reserve was established in 1972 totalling 29653 ha from previously farmed land. The reserve is particularly interesting due to the diversity of its natural resources. There is montane forest in the upper reaches to bushveldt down on the banks of the Pongola River, that runs through the reserve. Elephant have recently been introduced alongside the many other mammals and birds that make this such an interesting reserve. There are several bush camps and the main Ntshondwe (pointed/ peaks) camp with either self catering facilities or access to the camp restaurant. This album has selected images of some of the flora, fauna and facilities. The reserve can be accessed by air or by vehicle and is near Louwsberg.
Koronga Valley Guest Farm, on the southern outskirts of Ixopo, is a resort that caters for a wide variety of visitors who either want some peace and quiet, want to explore the area, or are involved in sporting events and outings. The Guest farm has basic but clean facilities, with a pub and restaurant. This album features the buildings, accommodation, flora, and the original cottage built in the mid 1900's.
Situated within the Pongola Game Reserve South in Northern Zululand; 350 km north of Durban, 450 km south east of Johannesburg and 270km south of the Kruger National Park. Nkwazi is set on a hillside overlooking the Pongola River as it lazily meanders towards the Pongolapoort Dam and is the perfect place to combine the excitement of Tiger fishing and game viewing with the tranquillity of the bush and panoramic views. The reserve caters for the discerning nature lover offering game drives, boat cruises, and guided walks. The lodge accommodates 30 guests in 11 twin en-suite thatched chalets, and two family chalets consisting of a living area, 2 bedrooms with twin beds and en suite bathrooms. All chalets have air conditioning, mini bar fridges and tea & coffee facilities. Cuisine is typically South African with a variety of venison dishes prepared and presented in the boma or open plan dining area overlooking the river. We do have a fully licenced bar at Nkwazi. Please take note that the bar, dining area, sitting area and swimming pools are open to the general public. The location allows conference delegates the perfect combination of work and play. GENERAL ACTIVITIES Activities are subject to availability. Please enquire at the office. Activities on offer are: Game Drives Guided Walks Boat Cruises Fish Eagle Safari Boat Fishing Boat Hire Note : Extracted from the Lodge' s web site.
Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse set in the foothills of the majestic Drakensberg Mountains ( a World Heritage site). Aside from a must for the romantic and Gourmet "specialist" , the setting of this country lodge is a photographer's dream. The Lodge, which is owned and operated by Richard and Mouse Poynton has the old farmhouse as it's core accomodation, and is set in well manicured gardens, overlooking a tranquil lake. The interior decor and memorabilia provide some sense of the pioneer and colonial era. This album has images of this well known and respected establishment.
Glengarry Holiday Farm lies at the upper end of the Kamberg Valley, in the foothills of the Drakensberg Mountains. The Farm has a variety of accomodation and camping with views towards the mountains. Facilities include golf, bowls, swimming pool, fishing, functions rooms and has a collection of farm animals. The Farm has a lot to offer all ages and is close to Highmoor and other Drakensberg attractions.
This gallery has images of Kamberg Nature Reserve, HIghmoor, and images of the Loteni road. These reserves are based in the Drakensburg Mountains which is a World Heritage site. The Kamberg Nature Reserve has many mountain trails like Obathwa Falls and Gladstone's Nose trails, the old Trout Hatchery & Dams and a Rock Art Centre commemorating the Bushman art. There is self catering accommodation in both Highmoor and the Kamberg Nature reserve run by Ezemvelo Wild Life.
What began its life as a mushroom farm has evolved into a contemporary artisanal environment. The farm has undergone several changes over the last three decades, but it is within the last few years that The Old Mushroom Farm has really taken shape. Ex-mushroom farmer, architect and artist Nic Crooks has transformed the property into a unique architectural experience. Two rows of converted growing tunnels are now an exciting lifestyle destination, home to shopping boutiques, an event space, bistro, gym and coffee shops. TOMF offers plenty for outdoor activities including a running trail, kids play area, and community food garden. Forming part of The Old Mushroom is 11 Karkloof, self-catering accommodation, The houses that were once accommodation for staff, are now guest houses for urban escapees and outdoor enthusiasts. Information taken directly from the Mushroom Farm site : 11 Karkloof road Howick - 0604701218
Kearsney Manor is situated on the original sugar estate built by Sir Liege Hulett in the 1880's. The colonial manor also housed the original Kearsney College now based at Botha's Hill near Hillcrest. The Manor now is an accommodation establishment with 15 bedrooms and is adjacent to the stone chapel and graveyard that is the final resting place for amongst others many of the Hulett and Balcolm families. This album features the Manor interior and exterior, outbuildings and also images of some of the Estate Houses on the original Hulett Estate farm houses, Kirklyvale, Sibton Hall and Melrose House, which are now privately owned. There is also images of the well that supplied the workers on the Kearsney Estate in the late 1800's when tea was grown on the estates before the introduction of sugar. A separate album features the nearby stone chapel and graves associated with the chapel. Also included here are images of the Kearsney Baptist Church and the graves associated with this farm Church.
Kosi Bay Forest Lodge lies to the east of the village of Mangusi along a sandy 4*4 road. The privately owned lodge is part of the iSibindi Group of lodges. The lodge has a main reception where meals are provided and service tent style thatched rooms with full facilities. There is a well sited pool overlooking a lake and where sunsets are the highlight of the day. There are many activities that may be carried out and include canoeing on the lake channels amongst the Raffia Palms, which are the breeding ground for the rare palm Nut Vulture. Boat trips from the Kosi Bay jetty up the four lakes is possible and snorkeling is provided. The ancient system of fishing using fish traps is a highlight and the local fishermen still use these methods. This area was declared a World Heritage Site in 2000 and is part of the Grater St Lucia Wetland Park, managed by iSimangaliso. (Meaning 'place of miracles"). The Kosi system consists of four lakes running into each other with the mouth just south of the Mozambique border. The Kosi system is 11000 hectares in extent.
Platrand Lodge is located to the east of Wagon Hill, the famous site of battles during the siege of Ladysmith. The Lodge has 54 rooms, The Hunters Lodge and caters for weddings, conferences and functions. It also has direct access to the Wagon Hill and Caesars Camp Boer War sites on the hill. S;28 35.014 E:29 44.424
The Ladysmith Royal Hotel has a long history and strong associations with the towns siege. Many high profile personalities visited this hotel like Leander Starr Jameson and Melton Prior during the war. Dr Stark was killed outside the hotel door by a Boer Long Tom Shell on 19 November 1899. The site is marked on the hotel veranda. The hotel is over the road from the NGK Church and close walking distance from the old town hall, now incorporating the siege museum. The hotel caters for travelers and for weddings and conferences.
Ukhutula is the farm bordered on the west by the Umgeni River. The farm is a nature reserve and game farm with small antelope and many bird species. The reserve has about six self catering units and a capture centre which also doubles as an education centre. This album also has images of the Albert Falls Dam wall.
This album features the Mkuze Game Reserve, home to the big five and False Bay which is on the eastern shores of Lake St Lucia, a World Heritage site. The album gives a taste of what can be expected in the camps and of course the wild life that can be encountered in the park. Both reserves are situated in the north east of KZN about 3 hors drive from Durban. Both entities have camping and self catering facilities.
Set on 935 hectares of farmlands , Sierra Ranch's history dates as far back as 1900, when it was a single story outpost known as The Grove. It has since established itself as a getaway destination for families, friends and couples. "The magic of Sierra Resort is its wide open spaces, dinner bed and breakfast packages, delicious home-cooking and a host of activities to keep all members of the family actively involved." The resort was gutted by fire in 1988 but subsequently rebuilt. Contact: 033-2631076
Nagle Dam, on the Umgeni River, to the north of Cato Ridge lies in the Valley of a Thousand Hills. The Dam was constructed and opened on 19 April 1950 by the Administrator Denis Shepstone. The dam which lies in the 3500 Msinsi Nature Reserve was built to primarily supply water to the Durban & Pinetown area. An interesting feature of the dam is the diversionary spillway, which is designed to prevent mud laden flood waters entering the dam and causing it to silt up. The dam capacity is 39 million cubic metres, a surface area of 156 hectares, and the mass concrete wall is 44.3m in height and 393m long. The diversionary weir is in the upper reaches of the dam with a system of floodgates for the flood release. The dam surrounds is controlled by Umsinsi Resorts who offer self catering lodges and camping facilities. This album has images of this site and also of the Table Mountain Catholic Mission which is at the upper reaches of the dam outside the reserve.
The 10117 hectare Ndumo Game Reserve in northern KZN is a bird lovers paradise with the extensive pans and riverine trees (giant Figs and Acacia), providing an ideal habitat. The large game species are not easily found and this has been exacerbated by poaching and drought. There are self catering and camping facilities in a well cared for area. The facilities all have communal ablutions and entertainment area. A swimming pool adds a necessary facility in the hot summers. There are a number of beautiful drives, one being along the riverine forest and another to the picnic site overlooking the Usuthu River. Most birders spend many hours in the hides overlooking the vast pans.
New Germany Nature Reserve lies to the east of Pinetown and adjacent to the industrial area of New Germany. The reserve which is in hilly country has a visitors centre, walk through aviary and short trails through the grassland and riverine forest. The album also has elevated views of the Pinetown CBD and New Germany.
HISTORY OF THE HOTEL With acknowledgements to Nottingham Road Hotel from their web site: www.nottieshotel.co.za The popular Notties Hotel celebrated its centenary anniversary a few years ago, securing its place solidly in the history books as one of the Midlands’ most popular hotels. Legend has it that there has been an inn situated here since 1854. While the actual building we know today is not as old, there could certainly have been on this site a “Notties” inn or a tavern for the soldiers stationed at Fort Nottingham, who were supposed to protect the area from Bushmen who were stealing local livestock. Situated at the crossroads where the road to the interior met the road to Fort Nottingham, it would have served the horse-drawn coaches that travelled the area before the railway line was constructed. The first recorded facts about the hotel we know today indicate that the land for the Notties Hotel was bought by George Orwin in 1889, following the death of landowner James Ellis and his sister Janet King, the land being sold by the family to pay off the siblings’ estates. The price received for the land, the princely sum of 125 pounds per acre, was extremely high for the time. Presumably it was the favourable location that drove the price so high. Orwin erected the Railway Hotel, as it was first named, to serve the station that was built at the tiny Nottingham Road settlement. Local farmer and settler Charles Smythe writes in his diary, “July 12th, 1882: The railway has at last commenced, and there is a large staff of men on Gowrie busy putting up buildings and beginning the earthworks. The station is to be just at the crossing of the road to Fort Nottingham, about two miles from Strathearn. The railway line finally reached Nottingham Road at the end of 1885, eventually changing its name from “Karkloof Station” to “Nottingham Road Station” in 1887. The Nottingham Road Farmers Association was formed in October 1887, in what was known as The Railway Hotel, where the present Notties Hotel is today. The hotel soon became the centre of social activity for the area, which became increasingly popular as a holiday destination, with its fresh, cool air and lovely countryside. The so-called Railway Hotel, built by a Mr C Morgan, was completed at the beginning of 1891, and soon became the centre of social activity at Nottingham Road. A gracious, two-storey building set in rolling lawns, the hotel offered guests the comforts of proper lighting (using acetylene gas), tennis courts and a billiards room, as well as activities such as shooting and horse riding. At the turn of the century, the Singleton family took over the running of the hotel. The Nottingham Road Hotel was always the local’s favourite haunt, whether for a social drink in the pub or for supposedly more serious matters such as meetings of the Nottingham Road Farmers’ Association. Like all hotels with a history, Notties Hotel is reputed to be haunted. In the past, guests and staff have reported that the spirit of a woman roams the hotel (especially room 10) and its grounds. This house-proud, gentle ghost apparently moves flower arrangements, tidies away clothes and straightens bedding. Legend has it that she is ‘Charlotte’, a lady of loose morals or a chamber maid depending on the source of the tale, who apparently threw herself to her death over the balcony outside her room after being jilted.
Rawdons Hotel in the KZN Natal Midlands was built by David Rawdon in 1954. David who died in 2010 aged 85 was also the owner of the Lanzerac and Maaitjiesfontein Hotels. The hotel has a deliberate old world charm with a thatch roof and incorporating recently refurbished rooms, The famous Boars Head Pub, gracious lounges and exceptional views over the dams in front of the hotel. The Hotel is in the heart of the Midlands meander and also "hosts" the Notties Artisanal beer brewery. This album has images of the interior and exterior of the hotel and one of the original promotional brochures and menus of the hotel.
Lake Eland is a leisure resort based on the Oribi Flats and also overlooking the steep gorges of the Umzimkulwana river that flows into the Umzimkulu river which enters the sea at Port Shepstone. The views at the resort are a main feature of the resort, along with an extensive zip line, swing bridge over part of the Gorge, Bushman caves, camp site, lakeside cabins and a chapel for the many weddings that use the resort as a venue. The resort also has game such as zebra, giraffe and also the small oribi antelope, a relatively rare species.
PMB City Hall,in Church Street, is a large Victorian structure reaching a height of 47m. It is reputed to be the largest brick structure and has the largest pipe organ in the Southern Hemisphere.The first City Hall built in 1893 burnt in 1895. The new hall was opened in August 1901 by The Duke of Cornwall.The City Hall has a magnificant interior with a Grand Hall, many stain glass windows of the period,office bearer boards,monuments and well fitted out Council Chambers including the Mayor\'s office. Adjacent to the City Hall is the Carbineer Gardens,Tatham Art Gallery and other Monuments. This Gallery features many of the above items and the exterior views.
Africamps is a form of boutique camping, or glamping that was started by Jenoen van Rootselaar. There are many of these destinations in South Africa on farms, estates and reserves. This album has images of the Africamps at White Elephant Safaris on the farm Leeuwspoor. The original farmhouse serves as the reception and along with a pool for residents, has much memorabilia in the reception and lounge. The units are near the Pongolapoort (Josini) Dam and land and water safaris are offered. The units are fully furnished with all amenities.
Rorkes Drift Lodge lies about 5km south of Rorkes Drift on a farm road. The lodge offers self catering accomodation, but will also supply meals by request. Activities of the lodge situated at te base of the Sinquindi Mountains include, tours to the nearbye battlefields, horse rides, walking trails and birding. This album has images of the accomodation, but it is the landscape images looking in the direction of Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift that do the talking. (Lodge contact : 034-6421805) Note : The somewhat rough road adds to the fun and seclusion of this Lodge.
The Sani pass, on the Lesotho - KZN border closely follows the upper reaches of the Umhomazana River into Lesotho. The pass is approximately 17 km from Sani Top (2727m asl) , down to the ruins of the Umkomazana Ridgeway Store. This gravel pass (there are plans to upgrade to tar), is a favourite for 4*4 owners and those wanting to explore the hinterland of Lesotho. One still has to go through immigration on the way up. The pass was always an important trading route into Lesotho, but on many occaisions the pass is rendered impassable due to snow or heavy rainfall.
Spiokop Nature Reserve is at the base of the 1899 Battlefield hill of the same name, and on the banks of the Spionkop Dam which is on the Tugela River. The reserve has camp sites and self catering accomodation and a ski boat club. The most appealing part of the reserve is its landscapes and many varieties of game. Self drives are possible within the reserve and one can spot many bird species along with a variety of antelope.
Summerhill and Hartford farms form part of the highly successful Summerhill Stud. Both main residences have great historical significance with the Hartford Manor house having been built by the family of the last Prime Minister of Natal. Hartford is also well renowned for its first class accommodation and fine restaurant. Summerhill Stud is the Home of the Champion Breeders and has stabled well known Stallions like Northern Guest, Home Guard & Liloy. A special treat is to be given a tour of the immaculate Estate by the current owner Mick Goss or one of his team.
Tala Private Game Reserve is a 3000 hectare reserve on the R603 Umbumbulu road. The reserve is mainly thornveld and boasts a wide variety of game within one hour drive from Durban. It also has over 250 species of birds. Tala has a wide variety of accomodation varying from self catering to fully catered, and includes conferences and wedding functions. This album shares some images of the game , scenery and accomodation available. Accomodation varies from rustic to upmarket secluded lodges. Contact - email@example.com
The 30012 hectare Tembe Elephant Park lies on the border with Mozambique. The park is managed by Ezemvelo Wildlife, whilst the Lodge is managed by the local Tembe Tribal community. The reserve is home to the Big Five, but also has a wide range of habitat that supports many other animals species and up to 340 bird species. The reserve has a limited number of luxury tented rooms, a central dining area, and bar, and lounge in a rustic setting. Game drives are provided by the lodge, but self drive options are available. The reserve is renowned for its tuskers, one of which was the tusker Isilo with tusks longer than 2.5 metres. (Isilo is now in his happy hunting grounds)
Royal Natal National Park in the northern Drakensburg has some of the most stunning scenery in this mountain range. The park has hiking, trout fishing and camping facilities as well as the well run Tendele accommodation run by Ezemvelo Wildlife. The park was give a \"Royal\" designation after the visit of the Royal Family in 1947 as guests of Field Marshall Jan Smuts. Unfortunately the hotel burnt down and this national treasure is derelict. The original hostel was built around the home of Walter Coventry in 1903. It was subsequently owned by Messrs FC Williams and then Otto Zunkel, who rebuilt the hotel, creating the hotel that became famous.
This album features the Drakensberg Garden Hotel and its facilities, The River Bend Timeshare, Fairways Timeshare, Glengarry Country Club and Golf Course and the Castle Gardens Nature Reserve. These resorts are premier tourist destinations in the Southern Berg near Underberg and there are multiple reasons for visiting, including golf, camping, hiking, horse riding and many of the other activities provided by the family orientated hotel.
Umzimkulu River Lodge near Underberg rests on the banks of the Umzimkulu River. This peaceful lodge has a combination of self catering or full board accomodation. The central facilities include a games room, bar, dining room, and covered shelters overlooking this pristine river. There are plenty of activities , either at the Lodge or in the vicinity, such as fishing, canoeing, hiking and, cycling. This album has images of the facilities and of the river and gardens.
The quaint cottagey feel of Umhlanga as a remote beach resort is all but gone, to be replaced with a more cosmopolitan brash feel. The beaches remain as some of the premier bathing beaches in KZN,below a long winding promenade of about 2.5 km running from the Hawaan forest in the north to the southern car park. The beach is dominated by world class hotels and resorts such as the Oyster Box, Beverly Hills and many other resorts and apartments. Behind the high rise residential component lies the commercial area with retail shops ,taverns,nite clubs and tourist related outlets. Whatever remains of the old,such as the Umhlanga Country Club are slowly being squeezed out for the new. This being said the Umhlanga beach and surrounds are a valuable and sought after holiday destination. The recent upgrade to the beach front compliments the safe and natural beauty of the beaches on display here. Also included are images of Peace Cottage on the North bank of the Umhlanga Lagoon that is now in a protected estate. This property until recently, was for many generations owned by the Campbell family, one of the early sugar families.
This album features most of the beach front flats that occur between Durban View Park and Hawaan or Umhlanga Lagoon. All of the apartments are on the beach side of Marine Drive and Lagoon Drive. Amongst the better known are Edge of The Sea, Cabana Beach, Umhlanga Sands, The Oysters and, the Pearls.
Umhlanga Beaches have a wide variety of moods and lie alongside the promenade which extends for 2.5 km from the south capark to the Breakers Resort entrance. But that is not the end as, especially at low tide one can walk at least another 2 kilometers to the Umhlanga Lagoon. Peace Cottage , which used to belong to the Campbell family lies within unspoiled coastal forest which is protected. Umhlanga Rocks would not be the same without the iconic 'whale-bone' pier and the lighthouse. This gallery celebrates these landscapes .
The Oyster Box opened in 1954 after starting off as a beach cottage in the 1800's. The property changed hands many times but was inherited in 1920 by a Dr. Quinn. It was turned into his home. In 1948 it was acquired by Ken O'Connor and his sister Kay. The property was used first as a tea garden and restaurant and in 1954 the Oyster Box Hotel. In 2006 , the property was sold to Stanley and Bea Tollman and major renovations and alterations were undertaken. Built in 1954, the iconic 21m high lighthouse is a 'marker' for the hotel as is the pier to the north of the hotel, and the hotel is the custodian of the lighthouse
Umfolosi forms part of the oldest game reserve in KZN known as the Hluhluwe - Umfolosi Game Reserve. This reserve forms the southern entity and has a wide range of flora and fauna including the big five. There is the central camp at Mpila and then several bush camps, mainly on the banks of the Umfolosi river. This gallery features some of the abovementioned and also images of the craft centre and game capture boma. The reserve has self catering units, bush camps and has self drive tours.Organised professional game drives can be arranged. This special reserve is presently under threat from mining interests on its southern boundary.
The Weenen Nature Reserve lies between Estcourt and Weenen, in rugged thorn veld and on an escarpment that overlooks the Bushmans River. The landscapes over the Bushmans are exceptional. The reserve has a large variety of game and has open grasslands and areas of thick indigenous bush. The area had been settled by Zulu families before being driven off by Shaka. There are many kraals that bear testimony to these old settlements. This was followed by settlement by the early Boer trekkers, many of whom were massacred at neighboring, Bloukrans. The area continued to be farmed until the 1930's when the farms were aquired and the Nature Reserve was established. An interesting feature is the remains of the old Estcourt to Weenen rail line that used to traverse the reserve.There are many remnants of the bridges, culverts and embankments in the reserve. The line was opened in 1906 and closed in 1983. The reserve itself caters for campers and has limited accomodation on site. The reserve is adjacent to the old Boer established town of Weenen which is worth a visit. It is also close to many of the old battle fields of the Boer War at the nearbye Colenso.
Zimanga Game Reserve is 300 km north of Durban just beyond Mkuze. This reserve has the big five but specializes in wildlife photography. The old farmhouse at Doornhoek has been converted into a boutique lodge, up with the best that SA has to offer. The Reserve has and overnight hide, scavengers hide and Lagoon hide all offering close up views of the wide variety of bird life, game and scavengers. A new luxury lodge is in the build process and will be opening in 2018, but this will not detract from the close personal attention from the staff and management. This album has images of the accommodation, varied wildlife, and in particular the tree climbing lions.