Bridges, Dams, Road & Rail

BRIDGES KZN - Stanger to Tugela River

This album has images of the bridges of the north coast from Stanger to the Tugela River. The road and rail bridges have undergone many changes over the years thanks to the effect of major floods such as Demoina and the Natal floods of 1987. The upgrade of the N2 route from Durban to Empangeni also necessitated the realignment of the road to cater for heavier traffic. The bridges over the Tugela feature the old metal rail bridge near Mandini, the rail bridge adjacent to the metal road bridge, the John Ross Bridge and the new N2 road bridge closer to the Tugela mouth. The Tugela River has the largest catchment of all the rivers in KZN with tributaries like the Bushmans, Mooi, & Buffalo Rivers all draining into it. The John Ross bridge over the Tugela was lost in the 1987 floods and was rebuilt in record time using the incremental launch system. The album has plaques commemorating this achievement. Also featured are the smaller Nonoti and Zinkwazi bridges.

Bridges KZN - Sea Cow Lake to Umvoti

This album has road & rail bridges from Sea Cow Lake to Umvoti River. The bridges include bridges in Riverhorse Hippopark, Verulam, Etete River, Blackburn, Tongaat and Umvoti River Bridges.

Bridges KZN - North Coast Bridges - Mtunzini to Mkuze

This albums has the road and rail bridges of KZN North Coast crossing rivers like the Umlalazi, and Umhlatuze Rivers. Some of the bridges are no longer on the main N2 road link that has been diverted but all are still in use.

Durban  Station to Shongweni Rail Station

This album has images of the rail stations between Durban main station and Shongweni. Along the way one can see glimpses of Marrianhill, Kwadangeza, the many rail tunnels, and the waterfall near the Shongweni- Delville Wood stations.

Estcourt  to Weenen - Cabbage Express 1906 to 1983

The Estcourt to Weenen railway line opened in 1906 and closed in 1983. The line runs out of Escourt along the old main road and then swings north along the ridge running through several farms like Slievyre. The old line then enters the Weenen Nature Reserve, followed by a steep descent into Weenen. This line was an important means of transporting the agricultural produce from the 3000 acres of irrigated farmland to markets. The introduction of road transport was the death knell for this line which despite attempts to save it for tourism closed in 1983. This album has images of what remains of the start and end points and of the remains of the line and structures along the way. Little evidence remains but one can still walk along the old track (devoid of rails and ballast) and access many of the old structures all of which remain in the reserve. The most striking features are the Tierkloof sandstone arch bridge, and two substantial metal bridges over which the game drives traverse. Many different locomotives operated on this line , like Class NG/G11 loco No:55 which is now at the Ixopo Paton County Railway, and NG/G13 no: 77 "Liliputian", much of them driven by Billy Bester, who spent 21 years as a driver on this line. The toatal distance of this line which became to be called the Cabbage Express is 46km starting at 1167m in Estcourt, rising to 1213 at at Haviland, a watering point and then descending through the reserve to Weenen at 866m.(Bruno Martin : Remembering The Estcourt - Weenen Line ")

Ixopo Paton Country Narrow Guage  Railway

This line in the region described by Alan Paton in "Cry the Beloved Country", used to steam between the Umzimkulu and Ixopo via Carisbrooke. This album has images of the locos and rolling stock based in Ixopo and featuring NG11 No 55, which also used to run on the Estcourt to Weenen line.

KZN - Freeways, Highways & Trucking

This album gives a contemporary sense of some of the major routes in KZN and the type of vehicles using the routes. Included are images of the main arterial route inland,the N2 freeway and various routes used in and around Durban.

NAGLE DAM - Umgeni River - 539

Nagle Dam, on the Umgeni River, to the north of Cato Ridge lies in the Valley of a Thousand Hills. The Dam was constructed and opened on 19 April 1950 by the Administrator Denis Shepstone. The dam which lies in the 3500 Msinsi Nature Reserve was built to primarily supply water to the Durban & Pinetown area. An interesting feature of the dam is the diversionary spillway, which is designed to prevent mud laden flood waters entering the dam and causing it to silt up. The dam capacity is 39 million cubic metres, a surface area of 156 hectares, and the mass concrete wall is 44.3m in height and 393m long. The diversionary weir is in the upper reaches of the dam with a system of floodgates for the flood release. The dam surrounds is controlled by Umsinsi Resorts who offer self catering lodges and camping facilities. This album has images of this site and also of the Table Mountain Catholic Mission which is at the upper reaches of the dam outside the reserve.

Old Main Line Rail - Durban to PMB

This album has images of the Old Durban - PMB Main Rail line and some of the more recent changes to the route. The album has images of Berea Station - Briardene - Pinetown - Gillits - Hillcrest - Kloof - Bothas Hill - Inchanga - Cato Ridge - Camperdown - Umlaas Road - Thorny Bush - motor Generation Plant at Thornybush - Mpushini Viaduct - Mkondeni Viaduct - Thornhill - Pentrich - PMB Station and goods sheds.

South Coast Bridges  - Bayhead to Isipingo

This album has images of South Coast Bridges which includes, Bayhead, Umlaas Canal (Umlazi River), Isipingo, and Umhlatuzana (into the Bay).

South Coast Bridges - Toti to Umkomaas

This album has the road and rail bridges between Amanzimtoti and Umkomaas on the KZN south coast. The bridges cross the rivers like the Illovo, Umgababa, Amanzimtoti lagoon, and the Umkomaas River. Some of the bridges such as the Illovo river rail bridge are iconic sights and the Umkomaas bridges vital to the movement of goods. Most of the original bridges built in the late 1800's have been rebuilt and the new N2 the most recent structures built in 1900's.

SOUTH COAST BRIDGES - Scottburgh to Sezela

This album features the road (R102 & N2), and rail bridges between Scottburgh and Sezela on the KZN south coast. Crossings include, Mahlangwana, Mpandinyoni, Umgagbaba, Umzinto and Widenham bridges.

SOUTH COAST BRIDGES - Ifafa to Port Shepstone

This album has images of the road and rail bridges from Ifafa to north of Port Shepstone. The road bridges include those of the old R102 and the newer N2. Rail bridges include many of the derelict screw pile bridges either abandoned or washed away in the series of floods that have been a feature of the South Coast. Bridges include Anerley, Bazley, Mzimayi, Ifafa, Koshwana, Mtentwini, Mtwalume, Mzumbe and Umhlangankulu.

SOUTH COAST BRIDGES - Shepstone to Port Edward

This album has the road bridges from Port Shepstone (Umzimkulu River Mouth), to the iconic Port Edward arch bridge over the Umtamvuma River, in the south, which forms the boundary of KZN with the Eastern Cape. On the way are also the old iron bridges over the Mpenjati River and the Mbezane River, as well as the road bridge above the Uvongo falls. The rail head was at Port Shepstone , so there are no rail bridges south thereof.

Umgeni Steam Railway - Kloof

Umgeni Steam railway was formed in 1982, and run by volunteers and has about 20 locomotives and 50 other carriages and wagons. Trains run between Kloof and Inchanga Station through the Valley of a Thousand Hills following the old NGR main line to PMB, dating from 1880. The line has gradients of 1:30 and curves of 90 m radius and less, and a short tunnel near Drummond. The line passes through Gillits, Hillcrest, Bothas Hill and Drummond along the way. A new alternative line was built in 1921 but this line continued to be used and was electrified in 1950 until 1990's, at which stage the line was decommissioned for commercial use. (Ref: Heritage Railway Society of South Africa). This album has images of the stations at Kloof, Bothas Hill and Inchanga, rolling stock based at Inchanga, and images of "Wesley" Class 19D No. 2385 proceeding along the line.

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record