The Bhambatha Rebellion had its origins in the imposition of a Poll Tax in Natal. The wider rebellion was sparked off when a troop of Natal Mounted Police were ambushed and killed at Mpanza by men led by Nkosi Bhambatha Kamcinza Zondi on April 4 1906.The Rebellion was eventually crushed when the Nkosi was killed at Mome gorge on June 10 1906. This album has images of the monument to the Natal Mounted Police,the monument at the ambush site,monument at Nsuze battle site and the monument to the 12 rebels who were executed in Richmond on 2 April 1906. Sadly the Richmond monument has already been desecrated. The gallery also has images of the views over Keats Drift from the Natal Police Monument.
Durban Light Infantry , a mechanised volunteer unit was formed in 1854. It has seen service In the Anglo Zulu & Boer Wars , SWA, Namibia,East Africa, WW1 & 2 , Bambatha and Burundi.The H.Q. in Durban\'s Marriot Road has a Drill Hall, Chapel of St Michael & St George, Officers Mess Clock Tower and other Memorabilia. The Regiment has affiliations with The Rifle Brigade (UK) and The Royal Green Jackets (UK)
The two military cemeteries in Hillary are the Italian P.O.W. Memorial commemorating the 35 soldiers buried in the cemetery during WW11 and the Military Cemetery at Mt Vernon which is the burial site of members of the Gold Coast Regiment, SA Pioneers Corps, N.M.C., I.M.C., C.C., and West African Artillery, who fought mainly in West Africa during WW11.
Natal Mounted Rifles is an armoured regiment with its base in Durban at the old Stamford Hill Aerodrome. The Regiment started as the Royal D\'Urban Rangers in 1854 and since then has participated in many campaigns such as Anglo Boer War, WWI & WWII and SWA. The album has images of the old Airfield Control Tower & Roll of Honour Monuments.
The Durban Old Fort was set up when British forces and Durban inhabitants were beseiged by the Boers in 1842. The Fort commemorates the ride to Grahamstown by Dick King (26 May 1842) to raise relief, has the St Peter in Chains Chapel, formerly the magazine, the Moths Museum and many other historical displays. Regrettably the site is being neglected by the Ethekweni Municipality and some of the exhibits in danger of dissapearing.
Duban\'s Ordnance Road or Wyatt Road Military Cemetary contains the graves of members of the British Colonial forces who fell in the attack on the Boers at Congella on 23 May 1842. It also contains graves of other men who died of disease and in subsequent clashes involving South African and Imperial forces including 80 Commonwealth burials of WWI, mostly deaths from the many WWI hospitals established in Durban. This site has named photographs of all the graves.
This gallery has images of the Military graves and monuments in the Durban Redhill Cemetery. Amongst the images are those of the WWII monument, Chinese Merchant Navy graves, the Jewish Memorial to those who died in the Holocaust and whilst on service and other Servicemen\'s graves scattered around the Cemetery. There are also monuments to the Police and SANDF members who died in the \"Border War \".
Warriors Gate Museum is the Durban Base of the MOTH Order and is directly opposite Kingspark Cricket ground in NMR Avenue. This album has images of the Museum, its Board Room and a selection of images giving some idea of the considerable collection of memorabilia in the museum. Below is an extract from the Moth web-site. For Military historians the visit is a must and particularly as the museum is on the site of Durban's Old Fort. Memorable Order of Tin Hats (MOTH) The Memorable Order of Tin Hats or the MOTH as it is more popularly known is an ex-serviceman’s organisation founded in Durban, South Africa, in May 1927 by a remarkable man Charles Alfred Evenden by name. He was born in London on the 01st October 1894 and as a young man immigrated to Australia and served with the Australian forces in Gallipoli during World War I where he was wounded and evacuated to England. After returning to Australia, he was discharged from the army. Witnessing the annual ANZAC parades, Charles Evenden turned his thoughts to the formation of an association of front line soldiers to perpetuate the comradeship gained from front line service. Later, he settled in South Africa where he worked as a cartoonist on the staff of the Mercury, a morning paper in Durban, under the pseudonym of “EVO” by which name he soon became popularly known to most people. In 1927 he saw a war film that included an impressive scene of marching troops wearing tin hats, and muddy uniforms all carrying trench equipment. Looking at the scene, it made him wonder what had becom of his comrades in the army; where they were and what they were doing. This line of thought inspired a cartoon on forgetfulness of a comradeship that had apparently ceased to exist. From this one idea other ideas came to the fore, then discussions with colleagues and friends and, eventually, the founding on the 07th May 1927 of an ex-serviceman’s organisation known as the Memorable Order of Tin Hats or simply MOTH. The Order is added on concord and harmony and operates independently of race, religion or politics in the same way as front line service, but with full democracy.
Fort Nonquayi (meaning \"Restrainers\")and Museum was established in 1883 and is of 3 stories with turrets. It was the home of the Zululand Native Police whose job it was to provide protection to the locals and officials. Within the Museum grounds are a number of other museums - Zululand Historical,Vukani,Mission Museum Chapel and Adam\'s Outpost.
This mixed album has images of the Hime Bridge over the Sundays river built in 1883 by Major A H Hime,Royal Engineers and would have been extensively used during the Boer War. Fort Mistake on the Biggarsberg pass was built around 1881 after the defeat at Amajuba and in anticipation of a follow up invasion by the Boers. The fort which is of dry stone construction with loopholes but no doors or roof is unique in design. The Fort is also known by the name of Dartnell\'s Folly and Mkupe and was reputed to have been built in the wrong place,being overlooked and without close water supplies. It was briefly occupied by general Redvers Buller during the Boer War. The fort never saw any action. The Glencoe Moths Monument commemorates those of the district in WWI & WWII. The Sandriver Bridge near Van Reenen and the LLandaff Oratory of Van Reenen are featured and which includes a grave on an unknown British soldier in its grounds.
Helpmekaar was occupied by forces of the Number 3 Central Column under the command of Colonel Richard Glyn and also accompanied by Chelmsford,in the planned invasion of Zululand. Most of the troops were from the 1/24 regiment and 2/24 Regiment. The Camp at helpmekaar was intended to be the supply and rallying point of the Central Column. After the defeat at Isandlwana and defense of Rorkes Drift many of those who survived retreated back to Helpmekaar. This album has images of Helpmekaar and the graves of some of the soldiers who died and are buried in the military cemetery.They were related to the military actions in the area.
The Malvern - Hillary War Cemetery is situated to the south of Durban. The Cemetery has the graves on men who perished between 1942 and 1946 on active service. This cemetery has the graves of various Regiments such as: I.M.C, N.M.C., K.K., S.A.N.F., E.S.P.C., The Gold Coast Reigment and The African Pioneer Corps.(West Africa). The Cemetery falls under the care of CWGC and bears their monument.
This album contains images of Fort Clery, the Filter Larsen Monument, Intombe Spruit battlefield and the military graves in the Luneburg Cemetery. The battle of Intombe Spruit on the 12th March 1879 was between about 500 Zulus under the command of Prince Mbilini waMswati and 104 British soldiers of the 80th defending a supply column. Captain David Moriarty who was commanding the troops was killed in this engagement.The soldiers were taken by surprise and between 60 and 80 British soldiers died, some of whom are buried in a mass grave on the site and others in the Luneburg Cemetery, close by. Fort Clery was built in 1878 to bolster the defences of the Luneburg laager and protect local families from the marauding Zulus. It was built by the 90th Light Infantry under Major C.F.Clery and later manned by the 13th and Kaffrarian Rifles and then the 80th. The Fort was never defended in action. The Filter - Larsen monument commemorates the lives of J H Filter and Larsen who were killed by Zulus in 1879 whilst attempting to prevent them stealing cattle.
This album has images of military related monuments, graves, structures, and plaques that were included in other albums, which overall were not of a military nature. There are images of many graves in cemeteries scattered around the Province. For example one will find the Monument to Hans Don in Besters, the OFS Boer War HQ at Smiths Crossing near Ladysmith,the gun Battery Towers in Durban North, the plaque in Lucas Gardens commemorating the deaths of the two Lucas men within days of each other in WWI, and much more. Other military related sites are under Galleries - Military
This varied gallery features the Dargle St Andrews Church where Brig. Gen. Sir Duncan McKenzie is buried and Fort Nottingham where in 1856,the 45th Regiment, Sherwood Foresters were based to fend off the marauding Bushmen. In Mooi River at the Municipal Hall is a monument to local citizens who died in WWII and a little out of Town is the St Johns Anglican Church where Major General R.P. Woodgate is buried after dying of wounds in March 1900 received at Spionkop. The nearby Weston Agricultural College that was used as a remount depot during the Boer War has a stirring monument dedicated to animals that succumbed during the war, but in particular the many hundreds of thousands of horses that went through the depot. The School also has a Museum with many artefacts collected on the farm. At Nottingham Road there is a monument outside the main Church commemorating casualties from WWI. There are a few images near Summerhill Stud of the knoll from which General Joubert & General Louis Botha shelled Mooi River. This was the furthest south that the Boers advanced in 1899.
This album has images of the many military interest sites in Dundee. Included are images of the St James Anglican Church where Major General W Penn-Symons is buried along with some of his Comrades. The Church also has commemorative plaques for those who died in the Great War. Featured is the Dundee Cenotaph (1914-1918),Hardy Gates & Moth Hall,Royal Hotel interior with its memorabilia. The Anton von Wouw frieze on the NGK commemorates the Boer casualties who fell at Talana. Other images are of the grave yard in the main Dundee Cemetery and also at the Wesleyan Ebenezer and Batavia churches.
The Talana hill was the site of the opening battle in the Anglo Boer War on 20 October 1899. Although the battle was a victory for the British it prefaced their retreat on Ladysmith & later to the south banks of the Tugela. The British also lost Major General W Penn-Symons who was mortally wounded on the battle site. The album has images of the farmhouse that existed at the time,the military cemetery where some of the combatants are buried and a monument to Mahatma Gandhi who helped form,and served with the Corps of Indian stretcher bearers. The battle site is the home of the Talana Museum that has displays relating to the War and memorabilia of the time.
This gallery is packed with militaria. The Fort Eshowe Cemetery is the resting place for those who died in the siege of Eshowe from 15 Jan 1879 to 4 April 1879 under the command of Colonel Pearson. The graves are those from units like the Buffs,HMS Active,99th Regiment of Foot,Royal Scotts,1st Regiment Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and 6th Dragoons. The nearby Fort Eshowe (1879 - 1898) (aka KwaMondi) has the ramparts still visible. It is adjacent to the Norwegian Cemetery dating back to 1883. The Eshowe main cemetery has monuments and graves relating to the 1906 Rebellion including that of Captain Sidney C. McFarlane (D.S.O.) of the Transvaal Mounted Rifles. The Zululand War Memorial in the main street commemorates those who gave their lives in WWI & WWII. There are images of the grave of The Lone British Soldier some way to the east of Eshowe. Private George Milne of D Company, Royal Scott\'s was killed by accident on 19 July 189? and his lonely grave is at the side of a district road. The old Eshowe Goal is featured, as is Cowards Bush ,the site where Shaka tested the courage of his Warriors prior to any planned raids.
The Escourt gallery has images of Fort Durnford,built by Major (later Lt Col.) W.A. Durnford in 1873 to protect the local people after the Langalibalele Rebellion. The Fort now operates as a museum and has a toposcope indicating sites of Military interest. The fort overlooks Saailaier,the 1838 Laager set up by Gert Maritz which was successfully defended against a Zulu attack on 17 February 1838. The site has markers and monuments to commemorate this laager. Also outside of town at Willow Grange on the battle site is the monuments and graves of those soldiers who died in the battle in 1898. There are graves of members of the East Surrey & West York Regiments and the grave of Private George Fitzpatrick who also died in this engagement. In the town CBD is the monument and names of those local people who gave their lives in WWI & WWII and overlooking the Bushmans River is a monument commemorating those who died in the Boer War (1899 - 1902)
The Square on the corner of Church & Commercial Roads commemorates a number of military campaigns. The War Memorial Arch commemorates those who fell in WWI & WWII. The Arch was dedicated in 1922 & again in 1947. The Field guns were captured in the GSWA campaign. The bronze plaques were stolen in 1994 but have been replaced in marble in 1999. The Zulu War Memorial commemorates those who fell in 1879. The monument was shipped from Italy and erected in 1885. The other monument is the natal Volunteers War Memorial commemorating the 134 local Colonists who died during the South African War. The monument is mounted by the winged figure of victory and has eight bronze panels with names and frescos. It was erected in 1907 (Ref: Steve Camp - Historic Pietermaritzburg)
The Greytown monuments include the monument sited at the farm and birthplace of General Louis Botha,the local Umvoti Mounted Rifle Regimental Hall,monuments located at the Town Hall which include Rolls of Honour for those who died in WWI & WWII and the Border conflict. Also included are images of the plaques in St James Church commemorating members of the local community who died in conflicts in SWA,RSA and Europe.
The Howick album has the monuments commemorating British soldiers who died in the Anglo Boer War. Alongside these monuments are monuments to those Boers who died in the British Concentration Camps (mainly children). The Lions River and Howick and District monument commemorates people of the area who died in WWI and WWII which is at the entrance to the town. The remains of the 1879 Fort or Laager,built after Isandlwana is located near the Howick Falls.
This gallery has images of the Umzinto South, Boer War Monument commemorating the Alexandra Troop,The Border Regiment. Also included is the graves of the Dick King family and monument to those who died in the Isipingo Concentration Camp between 1899 and 1902. Dick King with his guide Ndongana undertook the 1000km epic ride from Durban to Grahamstown in May 1842,in order to call for reinforcements to break the siege of Port Natal by the Boers.
The monuments here include the Moth Monument in Himeville and the Old Fort built in 1899,for the protection of local famers. The fort was also used during the Bhambata rebellion after being converted to a prison in 1902. The Kokstad memorials at the Town hall commemorate those local people who fell in the two Great Wars and include members from the Cape Mounted Rifles. Other images are of the monument commemorating those who were executed for deaths that arose in the 1906 Rebellion which is in Richmond.
Most of the monuments featured here are to the south of Durban along the Old Main road inland. Included is the Sea View -Sarnia Shellhole,Escombe Del - Mein Shellhole,Malvern Shellhole,and the Seaview Monument in Monument Road. Also featured is the SAS Monument in Flame Lilly Park - Malvern,British Graves dating from the Anglo Boer War at Marrianhill Monastery and a battle tank (no longer there) at the Hammersdale Rifle Range. There are also images of the Congella Monument commemorating the Battle of Congella by the British & Boers in 1842.
The images in this gallery are of the Old Armoury,Monte Stanco Moths monument,Newcastle Cemetery (separate album has military graves) and the monument at the Town Hall commemorating the Newcastle Mounted Rifles who died in the Zulu Wars of 1879. There are also images of The Buffalo Bridge over the Buffalo River outside of town that was built in 1898 and regularly used by Boer & British Troops during the course of the Anglo Boer War.
Utrecht has many military sites of interest related to the Anglo- Zulu and Boer Wars. There is an interesting Wall of Honour commemorating those foreigners who died and served with the Boer forces. At the NGK Church are monuments to the Burghers who died in 1899 to 1902 and a special monument to Captain Leo Pokrowski of Poland . The Petrus Lafras Uys monument commemorates this brave soldier who fought for the British in the Anglo Zulu War and was then killed in the Boer War. The Utrecht Military Cemetery has graves of soldiers from both the Zulu Wars and the Boer War.The military section was laid out in the shape of an arrow. During the Anglo-Zulu War up to 4000 troops were stationed in the area.
Vryheid has a rich military history and this album has many related images ranging from the Vryheid Freedom Shellhole,St Peter\'s Anglican Church with its WWI & WWII memorials,to the Vryheid Hill with its British gun positions and the memorial commemorating the site where Lt. Colonel J Gawne was mortally wounded during the Anglo-Boer War. Featured is the beautiful sandstone NGK Church (1891) with its memorials to the local Boers who lost their lives in the War and a special monument to those who died at Holkrantz. The album has images of the Garden of Remembrance in the Vryheid Cemetery,where British soldiers from the Boer War are buried as well as soldiers who died in the \"Border Wars\". Also in the Vryheid Cemetery are graves of many of the Boer Generals like Lucas Meyer and Cheere - Emmett along with graves of family members.
Fort Nottingham was established in 1856 as a result of the need to protect the local farmers from raiding Bushmen. Between 1845 and 1872 there were 62 recorded raids with a loss of 2287 cattle and 400 horses. ( The History of Fort Nottingham - 1856 to 2005, David Fox). In march 1856 a small unit of the 45th Foot, Sherwood Foresters (of 45th cutting fame) established a camp close to the present village. The present village was laid out in 1856 by Thomas Fannin with 20 plots of 2 acres. This is the present site of the village running each side of Shepstone street. The stone garrison buildings followed shortly thereafter in 1856. This album has images of the fort (now a museum), stabling, an old transport wagon and the old well sunk to supply the village. Also included are images of the town hall, residences and graves of the early settlers.
The Allan Wilson Moth Shellhole commemorates the death of Major Allan Wilson in his heroic fight to the death in the Matabele Rebellion in Rhodesia where his entire unit was killed. The site has a large hall full of memorabilia from all the S.A. conflicts, including Rolls and the exterior a tank and artillery piece which are featured her,
The Natal Carbineers Garden of Peace commemorates the members of this unit who gave their lives in the many campaigns they participated in. This album has images of the Carbineers monument commemorating those who died during the Langalibalele Rebellion of 1873 and also of the 45th Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) who served in Natal between 1843 and 1859.
The Delville Wood Memorial in PMB commemorates the devastating battle on the Somme that commenced with the attack by the 1st South African Infantry Brigade and support Regiments on 1st July 1916. Of the 3153 men who \"went in\" to take the wood only 143 later emerged unscathed. Private William Frederick Faulds was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in the battle. This memorial commemorates these men and also serves as a Garden of Remembrance for other ex Servicemen. The Wooden Cross housed in the memorial is said to weep on the anniversary of the battle.
The Fort Napier Military Cemetery has the graves of the many soldiers who were garrisoned in PMB from 1843 until 12 August 1914 at Fort Napier and also foreign Military soldiers who were in transit at the Oribi barracks during WWII. The Commonwealth comprise 112 graves from WWII and one from WWI and 7 from other nations. Most of the graves are however from servicemen based in Natal from 1843 to 1914 from Regiments such as the 45th Regiment,75 Regiment, South Staffordshire Regt(last to Garrison Ft Napier), Royal Engineers and the many Regiments that served during the Anglo Boer War. The Cemetery also has graves of Nursing Sisters who died on service and also of serving members wives and Children who died. The Cemetery has graves of some of the well known officers who have served such as Colonel William Royston and Colonel Anthony William Durnford, the son of General Durnford. The Lynch Gate was built Royal Engineers who had been captured by Boers and then released over the mountains into Natal as they had no means to incarcerate their captive.
Fort Napier, named after the Governor of the Cape, Gen. Sir George Napier was established on 31 August 1843 by two Companies of the 45 Regiment (1st Sherwood Foresters). It was used as a Fort and Barracks up until 21 August 1914 when the South Staffordshires departed for Ypres. Latterley if has been a Psychiatric Hospital. St Georges Garrison Church was built in 1897 as a memorial church in honour of those soldiers who died in the Anglo - Transvaal war of 1880-1, and the Zulu and Matabele Wars. It was used as a Military Hospital, nursing 427 patients during the Anglo - Boer War. The church was later used by Wykeham and Maritzburg College as their churches. The church architecture, stain glass windows and memorabilia are well worth a visit.
The Fort Napier Military Cemetery has graves dating back from the 1850's. This album has some of the graves dating post 1900. i.e. There are graves from the Anglo Boer WAr after 1900 and of servicemen stationed there up to 1913. In A separate gallery you will find CWWGC graves from WWI & WWII
This Military interest album features many of the monuments and sites commemorating matters military. Included are the memorials at Maritzburg college, Alan Wilson Moths, Delville Wood memorial , the St Mary's Church where Du Prince Imperial, Louis Napoleon's body (1856-1879) lay in state, 8 June to 9 June 1879, awaiting repatriation and many other monuments in the city.
This Military Cemetery lies in the heart of the Mountain rise cemetery north of the CBD. The cemetery has military graves from WWII and monuments commemorating members of the SANDF & Police who died on active service. Also in the cemetery are two German P.O.W. graves. The one relates to Helmut Haensel who was murdered by fellow P.O.W\'s,Walter Werner & Paul Wallatt in a Durban P.O.W. Camp in 1942. They received 5 year sentences in 1946. The other P.O.W., Karl Xaver,died of disease.(Reference : Natalia 40) Cemetery at S29.34.37 E 30.23.49
The Natal Carbineers is one of the oldest Regiments in Natal and campaigned in the Zulu Wars,Anglo Boer War, Natal Rebellion (1906), in WWI (South West Africa) and WWII. It has been led by soldiers such as Gen. Sir Duncan McKenzie and is still an active reserve unit. This gallery has images of the Drill Hall, Officers Mess, Museum, memorabilia and the Gibeon Field Guns captured in S.W.A.(Namibia). In a separate gallery is the Natal Carbineers Garden of Rest monument in the city square outside the City Hall.