This area of Durban consists of a mixed residential and business area with many of the old houses in Alpine and Quarry road now accommodating businesses. Much of the commercial land in Springfield is land reclaimed from the canalised banks of the Umgeni River. Alpine Road is a major arterial route linking up with Sydenham,Morningside and the Berea flanked by flats , houses and business outlets.There are also mosques and Temples in the area such as the Siva Subramanial Temple.
51 Photos
Stainbank Nature Reserve, in extent 253ha was formed in the 1940's by Kenneth Stainbank, a descendant of Derring Stainbank, who settled there in 1882. The reserve has walking trails, biking trails, a wide diversity of flora and picnic sites. Coedmore Castle and the Wilderness Leadership School buildings were part of the extensive structures built by the Stainbank family in 1885 ,and are well preserved. These buildings can be visited by appointment. The castle buildings also house sculptures of Mary Stainbank (Dering,s daughter) and some more contemporary works of art. The Castle was built by Scottish Stonemasons from Aberdeen from locally quarried stone.
92 Photos
This Gallery has a mixture of \"East\" meets West\" with for example the Randles Road Mohammedeya Musjid , the Bethal Congregational Church in Stanley Copley Drive, the St Johns & St Raphael\'s Church and Churchyard, Moslem Cemetery in Kennelworth Road and St Annes Catholic Prestbury. Added to the mix are the many Asian shops & businesses in Sparks, Randles & Brickfields roads.
129 Photos
The Howard Davis University College took its name from the commemoration of Howard Davis who was killed at the battle of the Somme in WWII.The foundation stone was laid by his mother, Mrs T.B.Davis in 1930. This Gallery has photos of the Howard College and other buildings, statue of King George V, Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre and the Silver Jubilee Gardens (1935) overlooking Durbans Glenwood and the harbour.
197 Photos
Durban - Umbilo, Resistance Park Monument was opened in 2002 by former presidents Thabo Mbeki and Nelson Mandela. The monument commemorates, with plaques and friezes, the 1913 Passive Resistance movement, 1956 Women\'s anti pass march, 1963 Rivonia trial, Robben Island, 1990 Mandela release and 1990 negotiations. Sadly this recent heritage site is already neglected with trees growing out of the structure.
37 Photos
Umgeni Road broadly follows the course of where the Umgeni River used to flow into the Durban Bay. Now however it is a busy access road into the CBD flanked by ribbon shops, and landmarks like the Britannia hotel, Lion Match factory, Kings Park Stadium, and the stunning Svea Alayam Hindu Temple all of which are featured in this gallery.
94 Photos
The Lion Match Factory was designed by Architects Ing and Jackson in 1925 and extended in 1926 and 1927. The factory was built for Hunt Leuchars and Hepburn to make the iconic Lion Match Brand. The factory was moved to Johannesburg and was then used for commercial purposes. Around 2015 the property owned by JT Ross, a local property developer, undertook a major makeover of the premises into mainly offices, with tenants like Ogilvy and long time tenants Jonssons Clothing.
24 Photos
Umbilo, to the south of the Durban CBD is a mixture of small residences,churches and commercial businesses. There are many churches such as the St Cyprians Anglican Church, Hellenic Church, Umbilo D.R.C. and hotel establishments like the Willowvale Hotel. Also included are images of the derelict Congella Sports Club.This gallery gives a taste of the local Umbilo community.
214 Photos
St Cyprians Anglican Church founded in 1867 is presently in Umbilo Road. The church has majestic arches and many stain glass windows adding to its beauty. The interior has plaques commemorating the Soldiers who died in the Boer War from the Natal Naval Corps and commemorations to its past serving clergy. The Church was originally established in 1867 based in Pine Terrace which was to become Commercial Road. In 1877 the Foundation Stone was laid for the new Smith Street Church (410 - 416 Smith Street)on the site of the present day Hub. In 1939 the church moved to Congella and in 1940 the present Church was opened and the Parish Hall in 1954. The Garden of Remembrance was established in 1960.
64 Photos
This album features the Bergthiel Museum, the oldest house in Westville that dates back to the mid 1800's. It is named after a German settler Jonas Bergthiel who brought out the original settlers to New Germany. The museum features memorabilia, information displays and rooms and equipment dating back to this era. This album also features some of the more modern Westville with images of St Elizabeth's Church, Winston Churchill Shellhole, Westville Catholic Church, CBD buildings, Country Club and Westville Hotel.
125 Photos
This Gallery in Windemere has images of the homes in the area and also includes images of places like the Greyville Presbyterian Church, Sutton Park Pool & Gordon Road School. Many of the homes in the area have been converted to commercial use and many have been torn down for structures like the Windemere centre.
97 Photos