20 Mar Rietvlei Methodist Church – 1877.
The Rietvlei Methodist Church lies between Craigieburn Dam tributaries, a small stone church with a cemetery, many of the graves now having vanished. Those graves that remain are families like the Robinson’s, Knox, Varty and Otto’s.
The church was built by William Ross for 482 pounds. Funds came from the Boyd family in London and the local community. One acre of land was donated by John Kirby. The Yellowwood timber came from William Robinson Shaw of Karkloof (Holbeck and Talaverna).
The contract was signed in May 1873, Peter Otto laid the Foundation stone in January 1874 and the church opened by Reverend F Mason in February 1877.