Helen Bridge 1866 – Mooi River

The Helen Bridge, about 3 kilometers downstream of Mooi River, is one of the oldest remaining bridges in KZN. The bridge was opened on 19 November 1866, by Colonel JJ Bisset, Administrator of Natal. The bridge is named after his second daughter, Helen. 

The bridge was on the main transport route upcountry to the inland, at the time and is still in use. There was a  Boer War remount station at Weston (College) and most traffic at the time would have passed over this important bridge.

It would appear that the desecration to the opening plaque (1866), is as a result of being used as a route marker. Just another Philistine amongst the many in our midst.


The Helen Bridge over The Mooi River.


The Helen Bridge – the desecrated plaque.



Comments are closed.

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record