Blog

Greystone Farm – Estcourt

 

Greystone Farm front facade.

Greystone Farm front facade.

Greystone Farm overlooks the upper reaches of the Wagendrift Dam on the Bushmans River. The farm was occupied by the Boers in 1838 and the battle of Vegt Laier took place on this property, (site under water) and was the site of the Boer Laager when attacked by the raiding Zulu’s in 1838. The farm was subsequently owned by Sir Henry Ogle, Wheller family and then by Sir Frederick Moor who built the stone house in 1879. Moor was to become the last Prime Minister of Natal before union in 1910. In 1981, the house was declared a National Monument. The Moor family who still live in the area aquired 700 acres of land which they donated to the Province and this land is known as Moor Park. The homestead has panoramic views over the Dam. The remaining 50 acres of property upon which the house stands has subsequently been owned by the Veld and Vlei Trust and in 1994 the property was acquired by the Midlands Christian Centre. A chapel, the Emmaus Chapel was built and the property continues to be used as an adventure centre with ample accommodation for visiting groups. 

Greystone Farm - Veranda detail.

Greystone Farm – Veranda detail.

Stonemason's mark on blocks to designate workman.

Stonemason’s mark on blocks to designate workman.

Bushmans river - upper reaches of Wagondrift Dam

Bushmans river – upper reaches of Wagondrift Dam

Greystone Farm's view over Wagondrift Dam

Greystone Farm’s view over Wagondrift Dam

Comments are closed.

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record

KZN: A Photographic and Historical Record