Dr Newton Adams arrived in Port Natal in 1835 and first established a mission in Umlaas, but in 1844 moved to the Amanzimtoti Reserve, the present site. The Mission was set up under the auspices of the American Board of Missions. The school was known as the Amanzimtoti Boys Seminary, Amanzimtoti Institute and then the Adams College whilst under the tenure of Dr Edgar Brookes in 1934. The Bantu Education Act renamed the college Amanzimtoti Zulu Training School in 1953 but reverted to Adams College when the Act was repealed. The teachers training facility was also closed. The College has an alumni that includes Rev. John Dube, Dr ZK Mathews, Inkosi Albert Luthuli, Joshua Nkomo, Nkosazana Dhlamini- Zuma, Dr Mangosuthu Buthelezi and Judge Pius Langa. The College is in a poor shape with many of the buildings derelict, despite the investment in funds preceding Nelson Mandelas visit in 2000. This album has images of many of the early buildings that remain, residences, the Congregational Church, honours Boards and the Adams Senior Primary School on a campus nearby.
Michaelhouse was founded 1n 1896 by James Todd, with 15 boys in Loop Street PMB, and then relocated to Balgowan in 1901 with around 80 scholars. This private school has an envious academic and sporting record. Over 30 Rhodes Scholarships have been awarded. The College is on 60 acres of land with a generous allocation to sporting facilities. The main school facilities are built in quadrangles of red brick and has eight boarding houses starting with Founders in 1828 and the last being McKenzie in 1995. with about 65 boys in each house. The Herbert Baker designed Chapel is a main feature of the College and can now seat about 600 people and features a bell tower (1950's), stain glass windows and memorials to the WWI & WWII who gave their lives. The College has a 550 seater theatre, extensive library, indoor centre (2006), and extensive fields and Pavilions. Well known alumni include Prof. David Brooks (philosopher), Wilbur Smith (author), John van der Ruit (author Spud), Patrick Lamby (rugby), and many others. This album features all the main structures of the college, the playing fields and other interesting aspects of the College.
Durban University of Technology lies at the foot of the Berea alongside Ritson Road. The original campus was in Russell Street and then moved to the Warwick site. The Tecknikon was founded by Dr Samuel George Campbell in 1907, and Warrick Avenue opened in 1912. With the expansion of the numbers of students the campus was extended on to the Berea and the foundation stones were laid in September 1982. Incorporated into the campus are some of the buildings of Mansfield High School which closed. Many buildings have been added to the campus, like the Cecil Renaud Theatre in 1988. The Tecknikon has has a few name changes over the years - natal Tecknikon Natal - Durban Institute of Technology - Durban University of Technology. Along the way was the Campus was changed to the Steve Biko Campus after the Black Consciousness Movement leader Steve Biko. This album has images of the structures on the campus, facilities and statues.
Henry (Harry) Thomas Stubbs, who was born on 2 June 1863, in Taunton, Somerset, England, was always destined to leave his mark in educational circles. Fairly late in life, in 1902, he married Magdalene (Maggie) Bicknell, whose family were also intimately involved in education. Stubbs House was built in the 1880s by Mr R Townshend Esq. and was originally named Townleigh. In 1915, Harry Stubbs acquired the property. Harry Stubbs first taught at Maritzburg College (1903-1909) and was the founding headmaster of Durban Preparatory High School (1910-1923). Subsequently, in 1924, he was the founding headmaster of Clifton Preparatory School for boys, which began with twelve pupils boarding in his family home, Stubbs House. This was to become the nucleus of the school. In 1927, an extra floor was added to the single-storey building to cater for the growing school. Harry Stubbs was to remain the headmaster until he retired in 1936. A long, successful career ended when Harry Stubbs died on 6 May 1936. Stubbs House was used by subsequent headmasters as a residence until 2002. The stairway in Stubbs House, leading to the upper storey, built in 1927. Clifton School celebrates its centenary in 2024.
Durban Girls College founded in 1877 is one of the premier Independent Girls Schools in the Province. Starting off as Durban Young Ladies Collegiate in Russell Street and opening in January 1878, there were 41 scholars. The College moved onto the Berea in 1906 on land donated by businessman Sir Benjamin Greenacre of retail fame. The College presently has about 820 girls from Pre Primary to Grade 12, of which about 40 are boarders in the Boarding establishment at College House. This album has images of the exterior buildings, much of the interiors including stain glass windows in the library, the sports facilities and many of the Honours Boards.
Durban High School for boys was founded in 1910 and known as the Day Continuation School, then Durban Technical High School(1916) and then Glenwood High School in 1934 when it was located in Glenwood. The school has a rich heritage in sporting, military, arts and commercial spheres. The school lost 25 former pupils in WWI and 120 during WWII and as such these losses have had a significant influence on the ethos of the school. The school with about 1300 pupils has a boarding establishment (Gibson House) today is still today considered a leading school in KZN and continues to turn out well rounded sporting,and academic scholars. This album features images of the grounds, facilities, museum memorabilia, historical items and the honours boards relating to former pupils and staff.
Durban's Greyville Primary School has had a varied history. The old Primary school had its origins in NMR Avenue near the Somtseu Road Temple and part of the brick structure still exists, on the Temple grounds. The present school was Windemere Girls school in about 1924. The school then became Mitchell Girls, followed by Bechet College and Umlazi Commercial College up to 2000, when it reverted to Greyville Primary. This album has images of the school and some of the admission registers.
DHS opened its doors in Smith Street in 1866. It had a few homes in the CBD but eventually moved onto the Berea in 1895. The all boys school has had an illustrious past and has produced people such as Barry Richards (sport), Edwin Swales V.C.(Military), Prof Philip Tobias (academic), Stephen Saad (business), and Roy Campbell (arts). This gallery has images of the grounds, buildings, memorials, honours boards and many other features of the school.
Inanda Seminary was started in 1869 by Daniel Lindlay and his wife on the Inanda Mission station. It was the first secondary school for Blach girls in Southern Africa. The first Principal was Mary Edwards until 1898 and she lived there until aged 98. The school is the oldest girls boarding school in SA and remains a private school with over 400 scholars. The oldest house is Daniel Lindleys Mission house (1858), however there are many other historic buildings including a well laid out and informative museum and chapel. This album has images of most of the buildings and some of the memorabilia associated with its long history.
The Howard Davis University College took its name from the commemoration of Howard Davis who was killed at the battle of the Somme in WWII.The foundation stone was laid by his mother, Mrs T.B.Davis in 1930. This Gallery has photos of the Howard College and other buildings, statue of King George V, Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre and the Silver Jubilee Gardens (1935) overlooking Durbans Glenwood and the harbour.
Durban's Rossburgh High School in Seaview, Durban was built in the early 1900's. The front facade has two wings with entrances dated AD 1914 and AD 1965. The school later became Laerskool Saamwerk, however this closed in 1997. The buildings were taken over by vagrants for a while, before a City schools scholars were relocated and Phambili High School was opened. Education sources state that the school has 1017 Scholars and 17 classrooms. It is only the front area of the school that has architectural merit and the classrooms are typical of Government school design.
This gallery records most of the significant facilities, monuments, chapel, Houses of this prestigious school that was founded in 1872 by Gould A Lucas & Reverend William Newnham as a boys private boarding school. Found featured here are the likes of the chapel and its interior, the Centenary Hall, sports facilities and the dining room with its portraits gallery of past headmasters and tributes to past scholars and benefactors of the school. The facilities are in superb state and include fitness centres, cricket grounds and pavilions,swimming pools,rugby grounds and wilderness area on this 1762 hectare estate. The farm was originally owned by Voortrekkers and known as Ongegund. It was then sold to Joseph Henderson in 1849 and renamed Hilton. The school has 7 Houses namely Churchill (1911),Ellis (1906),Falcon (1939),Lucas (1998), Mckenzie (1919), Newnham (1906) and Pearce (1906). Some of the earliest buildings exist as the museum,sanatorium and Head Masters house.
The original Kearsney College opened in 1921 in the former home of Sir Liege Hulett. This site which is about 10 kilometers west of Stanger is now an accomodation establishment known as Kearsney Manor. Kearsney derives its name from the birthplace of Sir Liege Hulett, in Kearsney in Kent. The old school was closed and reopened on its present site in 1939 with 196 boarders, and has grown in size ever since. The school is a private school for boys from Grades 00 to Grade 12. This album has images of the many facilities, the chapel, memorabilia and honours boards recording the achievements of the many who have been through the college.
Thomas More has an extensive campus on the sidelines of Fields Hill and this album demonstrates the extent of the buildings, facilities and some of the honours boards. There are also images of the original house . Below is an extract of the Colleges web-site Thomas More College first opened its doors in 1962 and has grown from its modest 55 pupils, all boys, to being Kwazulu-Natal’s largest co-educational independent school. Situated on 20 hectares within the gorgeous Kloof Conservancy, the college calls the lovely suburb of Kloof home. While the college focuses on smaller, personal classes, it offers a sizeable campus catering to students right from Grade 000 through to Grade 12. Learning follows three stages of development, from Foundation Phase to Primary School, and finally, to High School. The Foundation Phase is where students begin to develop their identities and individuality. It forms the base on which all fundamental life skills develop. Students continue to develop and grow through primary and high school, and can confidently step out into the world and chase their goals by the time they leave us. Read more. GIVE YOUR CHILD A HEAD START At Thomas More College, we believe the learning experience goes beyond the classroom, which is why we aim to enrich our pupils academically, culturally and out on the sports field. We have a staff of dedicated and experienced teachers committed to nurturing your child’s mental, emotional and physical growth, ensuring they develop the right tools to help them navigate through life successfully.
Nottingham Road Clifton School established in 1942, is based in the village of the same name on a 60 hectare estate along the Loteni Road. The school is a Christian based coeducational day and boarding establishment. This album has images of the school buildings and facilities and also the original farmhouse upon which the school is built.
This information extracted from Epworth School web site: "Epworth is actually two schools: Epworth Preparatory School for Boys and Girls and Epworth High School for Girls. Set in scenic 15-hectare grounds on the outskirts of Pietermaritzburg, which is known as the Garden City, Epworth has a history dating back to 1898. Epworth was established by Miss Emily Lowe and Miss Emma Mason to teach 45 Natal settler children. The school was named after a village in Lincolnshire, the birthplace of John and Charles Wesley, two brothers who developed the Methodist ethos during the Industrial Revolution in England. The brothers believed strongly in the need for education (unsurprising as their mother was a teacher). At the time, only one in 25 children attended school. John believed that education was vital to address social problems such as poverty, crime and alcoholism. He believed that through education, children could become individuals of sound character who would improve the world around them. In 1748, the brothers established their first educational institution, a boarding school for the children of coal miners. For its first 21 years, Epworth operated as a private venture, before being transferred in 1919 to the Conference of the Wesleyan Methodist Church of South Africa, which appointed a management council. In 1982, the running of the school was taken over by an independent trust, which assumed responsibility for the school’s assets and liabilities. The original school was housed in various different buildings located in the centre of Pietermaritzburg. Over the years, further properties in Loop, Chapel, Burger and Prince Alfred streets were acquired to accommodate the growing school. In 1936, spurred on by Miss Church’s (the then principal) desire for Epworth to become “one of the foremost schools in the land”, a decision was taken to move the school to a more appropriate setting. Forty acres of land in Scottsville was bought from the Pietermaritzburg City Council and the new school was officially opened in 1941. In 1959, a beautiful chapel, strategically located at the heart of the campus, was a significant addition to the new school. Smaller building projects followed, culminating in a ten-year development plan for Epworth. Except for the construction of the hall, this plan came to fruition in five years and forms the basis of the school as we know it today. The foundation stone for a dedicated junior school was laid in 1965, which also saw the school swell to 445 pupils. The school’s 75th anniversary, in 1973, marked the opening of the Haley Hall and a nursery school to house its 50 pre-primary pupils. 1978 was a noteworthy year in Epworth’s history. It marked the admission of the school’s first black pupils and brought to fruition Miss Kachelhoffer’s long-held belief that Epworth’s success would be gained through giving each girl, regardless of colour or creed, a chance. Previous attempts, in the early 70s, to offer education to pupils of all races, was thwarted when schools in the Cape were denied permission to do so. In 1980, despite Government working against integration by cutting subsidies to schools with less than a 90% white population, Epworth boasted the highest number of non-white pupils of all the Natal private schools Between 1983 and 1991, due to a shrinking economy and declining pupil numbers, Epworth was forced to operate on an extremely tight budget. Pupil numbers dropped to 316 and the High School lost 48 boarders in one year. In 1989, many private schools in the area were experiencing severe financial constraints and were forced to increase fees to meet rising expenditure and to counter dwindling numbers. Despite considerations to amalgamate with another school, Epworth stood resolute and remained independent. The primary school, meanwhile, was going from strength to strength. Its innovative, child-centred approach was beginning to attract more pupils from the surrounding community. In order to free up much needed space, a new building, specifically designed to accommodate the pre-primary section, was built. Boys, who had been part of Grades one to three since the 1950s, were introduced into the rest of the primary school in 1994. By the time Epworth celebrated its centenary in 1998, it had turned a major corner in terms of management, finances and pupil numbers. There had been a steady growth in the number of day scholars and a third Grade 8 class was introduced, pushing classroom capacity to its maximum. The school recorded a total of 520 pupils, the largest the school had ever been. Epworth approached the 21st century – and its second century – with a clear sense of its identity and where it was going. Since then, it has, over the last 17 years, overcome many challenges and has come out on top – today Epworth proudly stands amoungst the top schools in the country. We look forward to the challenges of the future, confident in the strength of our values of Faith, Compassion and Courage which have been so integral to our past success."
Longmarket Girls School, founded in 1890, was first based in the old premises of the Boys Model Primary on the corner of Boshoff & Longmarket Street. It moved into its present premises in 1972. The schools Motto is Loyalty, Honour, Trust and its badge is based upon the Natal Coat of Arms. One of the many challenges faced by the school was in 1987 when the school was inundated by the flooding Umzindusi River. This album has images of the school fields, buildings, honours boards, and some memorabilia and photos that are displayed in the school premises.
Maritzburg College started in 1863 along with its proud tradition of turning out leaders has an abundance of great architecture and history. The new Museum displays commemorate the passage of the 150 years since its founding and has material that will assist you around the school on a self guided tour. This gallery covers most of the notable sites of interest such as the Museum (ex Gym 1914),Memorial Chapel (1952), College House, Nathan House (1910), WWI Memorial, Clark House (1888), Armoury, Victoria Hall (1897) and much more.
Murchison Prep, named after a school in Scotland was founded in 1892 by Agnes Rowe and Elizabeth Allan. The school is a Prep school for boys and caters from Grade RR through to Grade 7, and includes a boarding establishment. Based on the banks of the Umzindusi river in PMB, the grounds have frequently been flooded. The school has a long history and this gallery as well as showing the substantial facilities has images of its heritage, memorabilia and honours boards. In spite of the dysfunctional state of schooling this Government School has maintained high standards an true to it's motto "Ready Aye Ready".
St Charles College was founded in 1875 by Bishop Jolivet and was located in Loop Street and the CBD, before moving out to Scottsville in 1925, when more space was required. The College was acquired by the Marist Brothers in 1912, and remained a Marist College until the late 1970's when dwindling numbers nearly resulted in the demise of the school. Old Boys rallied together and the college became a non denominational place of learning and has thrived ever since. This album has images of the extensive school buildings, facilities and honours boards.
Pietermaritzburg Girls High in Alexander Road was founded in 1920 on a 32 acre piece of land,on the land belonging to Mr & Mrs Peter Davis and their home "Morningside". The first Headmistress was Mrs N Burns (1920 - 1932) with an initial intake of 71 pupils. The main building in Queen Anne revival style is a National Monument. The school continues to thrive on its Alexander Road site with many of the original structures still gracing the property. The enlarged school now has a boarding establishment and many modern facilities such as the hockey astro, and sports hall, and gymnasium. Most of the facilities and honours boards are featured here.
St Johns DSG was established in 1897 by the Sisters of St Johns Divine and had its physical origins in Loop Street, Burger Street and finally moving to its present site in Scottsville in 1913 and opening in 1915. The present campus is extensive, with one of the oldest buildings being the present gym. The College has a fine chapel, boarding establishment, classrooms, museum, theatre and comprehensive sporting facilities which include an astro turf, and large indoor sporting center, This album features all of these facilities and includes images of memorabilia and honours boards.
Russell High School founded in 1879 has had a few name changes over the years. Initially Girls Model Primary School it was renamed Berg Street Intermediate School in 1828 and finally Russell High School in 1941 after the Superintendent of Education who nurtured the original school. Although the school caters for girls it has over its history enrolled boys, one of whom was Dr Alan Paton. Presently the school has 550 girls and has built up a reputation for its arts and drama. The main school structure is a national monument with its striking exterior features and the large high ceiling interior corridors and open halls. The Gallery features the buildings ,Honours Boards, memorabilia, photographs and some of its contemporary art prepared by the scholars.
Natal University College originally started in the Maritzburg College grounds and then moved onto the present campus when the Main College Clock tower building was completed in August 1912. Natal University College is now part of a much larger University being that of the University of Natal (KZN)which has other campuses, most notably Howard College and the former University of Westville. The original campus consists of the Student Union, Residences, Sports facilities, Admin block, lecture theatres, library and support services. The campus extended in the 1960\'s onto the old Pietermaritzburg Golf Course where new facilities were erected for the expanding community.Residences (Dennison) and state of the art sports facilities were also established. The Agriculture facility is in Scottsville in Carbis Road. Most of the Universities important facilities are represented in this portfolio of images.
In June 188 Father Louis Mathieu, a French missionary moved from the Bluff to the derelict farm that had belonged to a Mr Oakes. He was later joined by Dominican Sisters in order to "spread the word". The multiracial Catholic school with a boarding school component. Oakford became an independent school in 1890 and became the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Oakford. Today Oakford is a Government run school on private property, with more than 900 pupils and still includes a boarding component. This album has images of the two churches, Primary school and the Boarding establishment along with images of the older support structures and houses. Also included is the memorial to those that served the community over the years that has replaced the uprooted grave markers.
Weston Agricultural College was used as a remount depot during the Boer War has a stirring monument dedicated to animals that succumbed during the war, but in particular the many hundreds of thousands of horses that went through the depot. The School also has a Museum with many artifacts collected on the farm., and the grave of Yalo, General Buller's dog, The following is courtesy of Weston School: "THE HISTORY OF WESTON AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE On 17 August 1914, the Weston Agricultural and Allied Trades School opened on its present site at Weston, with five pupils. Two weeks previously, World War One had broken out and immediately the growth of the new school was affected. After three years, numbers had increased to sixty and in 1925 the name was changed to Weston Farm Training School. At this time a two year course was introduced with an emphasis on practical agriculture. Weston was the centre of the farming district before the railway line arrived, which was laid out to the west of the Weston Village. Remount Depot During the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902 the farm that Weston Agricultural College now stands on, was used as a remount depot where thousands of horses were kept. A large military hospital of tents, with 1500 beds, was set up by the British army. On a hill bordering the present farm is a military cemetery which provided a burial ground for the soldiers who succumbed to wounds or disease. During the period immediately preceding the war, the British Army made use of horses for the various cavalry regiments and also for the artillery. Argentina was the source of supply for South Africa. In about the middle of 1899 when it seemed that war was imminent, commissions for purchasing horses were established in the United States, Spain, Italy and Australia. To accommodate the cavalry and artillery, as far as Natal was concerned, it had been the custom just before and after the outbreak of war, to encamp mounted units at Weston, because of the good grazing and absence of horse sickness. Houses were erected for the officers, barracks for the other ranks and corrugated iron shelters for the horses (± 5000). The officers' private horses were accommodated in proper well equipped stables with windows that closed. Some of the original buildings are still standing and the three houses, two of which are national monuments, are still in use by the College today. The British army left many artifacts e.g. Coins, buttons, - bottles and other interesting findings which have been collected by staff pupils over the years and are now housed in the school museum, with other old implements, machinery, photographs and books. The Union Government sold the remount camp to the NPA, which converted it into an Agricultural and Allied Trades School. The purchase price for 3000 acres (1200 hectares) was R 6,848, slightly more than R2 per acre!! Smyth House and Charlton House are named after the first headmaster and farm manager respectively. The original school block was built in 1926 and this was added to in 1968. The next hostels built were Shorten and Paterson. In 1987 a Science laboratory, Media centre and two more classrooms were built. Parker House, a new hostel built to accommodate fifty students was opened in 199.g In 1991 the school introduced Stds 6 & 7. Today there are ten classrooms, a media centre, a geography classroom, a biology lab., an audio visual room and a computer room - a vast improvement on the original wood and iron classrooms."