The Addington Hospital precinct includes the Children's Hospital, the old Nurses Home , Addington main block and the oncology block. The original Addington hospital replaced the Bayview hospital on the Esplanade in 1879. This was in turn replaced in 1967. The Children's Hospital was opened in 1930 but closed in 1984. The Children's Hospital is in the process of being restored as is the Nurses' Home.
This album is a consolidation of many of the numerous Art Deco buildings in Durban, both old and new. Although not covering all of the Art Deco it will assist those interested in easily locating much of the buildings. The Art Deco movement spread throughout the world between 1925 and 1940 and this style is still being used in buildings such as the Suncoast Casino and adjacent hotel. Art Deco broke from the popular colonial buildings of the time that dominated Durban. Even small homes like in Clairwood incorporated the motifs and geometric shapes of Art Deco.
Durban\'s Golden beaches provide a paradise for bathers, surfers, jet skis , walking, and many more activities catered for along the eight kilometres of beachfront from the harbour mouth to Blue Lagoon. This album has photos along this beach area with a range of varying moods from sunrise to sunset along with aerial views of the beaches.
This album has a wide ranges of images from sites in the immediate vicinity of the beachfront all the way from the new developments on the Point to the flats in Sol Harris Crescent. Some of the more interesting images are street views of Gillespie Street, Hunter Street, Milne street with its St Michaels Lutheran Church, Morrison Street with the old City Breweries, the Old Fort Road Jewish Club & Holocaust Centre, the Somtseu Road Baptist Church (1909) and the beautiful Somtseu Road Hindu Temple.
Caister Lodge belonged to Benjamin Greenacre and was built on the Berea circa 1895 at 264 Musgrave Road. Benjamin was the main shareholder in the company Harvey Greenacre & Co. Upon his death is 1911, the business was taken over by his sons Walter & Edwin. The home was used as a convalescent home in WWI and in 1937 became the Caister Hotel and in 1987, a retirement home named Caister Lodge
The Sarnia - Bellair - Sea View - Rossburgh gallery has many images of the area but features the Monument Road War Memorial, Rossburgh High School, Sea View Congregational Church (old & newer), Sea View Afrikaans Protestant Church, Bellair Church 1899 , Weslyan Methodist Church 1918 and Sarnia Station. Also included are some of the older residences and shops strung along the road.
The Caister, in Musgrave road has taken many forms over the years but its origins were that of the stately home of Sir Benjamin and Lady Greenacre, early merchants and City office bearers. The Caister, subsequently became a well known residential hotel, and more recently, a home for the retired and aged. Much of the front facade has been altered and obscured by development, but the main entrance from Musgrave road is still largely unchanged. The interior of the core area gives some idea of the grandeur of the home, with imposing wooden stairs, wood panelled rooms, stain glass windows and generous sized rooms. Sir Benjamin Greenacre was a town councillor (1871 - 1876 and 1889 - 97 and Mayor of Durban (1875-76, 1889-1892, 1897 - 1898, and Knighted when the future King George visited Natal in 1901. His first house was a thatched house in town.
The Elephant House on Durban's Berea is the oldest surviving house in Durban, which was restored in 1972 by Brian and Elaine Agar who bought it from the Murchie family who had owned the house for the previous 100 years. The original owner of the house was Thomas Milner who built it in 1850 and used it as a week end retreat. The house gets its name from the Elephants who used to make their way up what is now Florida Road from the coast to their feeding grounds in the Umgeni Springfield area. They apparently used to pass close by to the house and occasionally attempted to remove the veranda posts.
This gallery of the Berea main roads features the residences and flats in the area. Many of these old homes are being demolished and redeveloped or converted into commercial establishments. This album also has images of Lucas Gardens, a home for women established by Margaret Lucas to commemorate her two sons who were killed in WWi. Included also are images of 109 Riley Road, one of the older remaining homes in the area, constructed of wood and iron.
In 1908, two Norwegians, Jacob Egeland and Johan Bride formed the South African Whaling Company and commenced whaling on 3 July 1908. The original whaling station was close to the harbour entrance, but moved due to complaints about the smell around the Bluff and later still even further south to its ultimate position. The whaling of the Blue, Southern Right and Humpback wales continued until 1975 when whaling was banned due to the depletion of the resource. The original Company became the Union Whaling Company which was ultimately sold to the Japanese in 1956/7. Whaling peaked in 1954 with the Company catch of 2438 whales and the company employed 830 personnel but the record overall catch by Whalers peaked in 1965 with a total catch of 3860 whales within 150 miles of Durban. (Ref: Captain Tony Pearse - "African Keyport" - 1995). Today, all that remains are the decaying structures about 2 kilometres south of the harbour entrance, but these remaining buildings in this album still give some idea of the magnitude of the former operations. The images are captioned in almost equal blocks named Southern Block, Central Block and Northern Block. There are also images of military "Pill Boxes" that remain on the beach and served to protect the Military Base positioned on the top of the Bluff. The Navy for a short time used some of the structures after its closure, however the site is now abandoned and returning to nature.
The Bluff is primarly a residential area bounded by the harbour in the north, industrial areas to the west and the Indian Ocean on its east. The main Ansteys Beach is a popular bathing area and fishing spot. The area has many churches, commercial zones and historical sites such as Lt King\'s Park, the old whaling station and military base at the end of the Bluff and the Cooper Lighthouse.
Cato Manor was granted to George C. Cato (Durban\'s first Mayor) in 1865 and later subdivided and utilised by Indian market gardeners in the early 1900\'s. After the 1949 riots much of the area was settled by black inhabitants and as many as 30000 people were living in the area.The Group Areas Act was implemented in the 1950\'s and there was a dispute over who had rights to brew beer, which resulted in further riots in June 1959.Eventually by 1964 the area had been cleared of people, and remained this way until the early 1990\'s when it started to be resettled again. This gallery shows the area as it stands with a mixture of shack dwellers and low cost housing. Some of the shells and remains of the old trading stores remain.The area has a Mosque and the 1st & 2nd Umbilo River Hindu Temples.Also in the area (not covered) are the sports fields, Albert Luthuli Hospital and interpretative centre illustrating the areas history.
The Umkumbane Heritage Centre in Cato Manor commemorates the Black communities who were forcefully removed from this area in the 1960's under apartheid. The centre records the process and struggle by the community with written accounts and photographic images that appeared in the media at the time. The Centre is off Francois Road in the heart of the effected area which has been re-occupied, mostly with shack dwellers. This album also has landscape images over the area and towards the Ridge Road skyline to the east of Cato Manor. The Centre kindly permitted me to take these images for my heritage site, and is acknowledged with thanks. The centre is well worth a visit by persons interested in the politics of the day and to understand the trauma effecting those living in this area.)
Chatsworth & Shallcross were founded in the early 1960\'s as part of the apartheid Governments policies of segregating the race groups and also to act as a buffer between the white areas and the black areas like Umlazi. Although these barriers have been scrapped these areas remain predominantly Indian. The township has many Temples, churches and Mosques built by the culturally mixed society and today has a large Commercial Centre. Many of the original inhabitants had been relocated from areas such as Cato Manor, Maville ,Block AK in Durban CBD,Riverside, Clairwood and the Bluff.
This album features some of the new development areas to the north of Durban. Many of the images show the vacant land, formerly sugar cane that was owned by the Tongaat Hulett Group and is now earmarked for development. This area will be developed and will be known as Cornubia which will have a mix of industrial, residential and commercial components, Blackburn Estates (residential) and to the east of the N2 highway the Izinga Ridge residential development. This area is currently undergoing massive transformation and most of the cane lands will disappear,
Clairwood or South Coast Junction was settled in the 1880\'s by formerly indentured labourers who had completed their contracts. Clairwood contains many Temples,churches and old homes of the era, many National Monuments & listed. The area has been under threat for many years by industrialization and more recently by the plans for a dug out port.
Colinton House on Durban’s Berea was built by Sir David Hunter KCMG in 1898 on a piece of land described as Bock Z of Townlands which at the time was on the outskirts of the Borough. The land was built sold by the Borough to Woolston Dickens in 1856 and belonged to the family until 1896. The much smaller sub-divided erf of .4 hectares was then sold to David Hunter for 560 pounds sterling. The building was thought to have been designed by William Street-Wilson, however the original plans are missing apart from some alteration drawings done in 1907. Street-Wilson and his partners designed many residences like Monaltrie and Merrick Bennet House.
DHS opened its doors in Smith Street in 1866. It had a few homes in the CBD but eventually moved onto the Berea in 1895. The all boys school has had an illustrious past and has produced people such as Barry Richards (sport), Edwin Swales V.C.(Military), Prof Philip Tobias (academic), Stephen Saad (business), and Roy Campbell (arts). This gallery has images of the grounds, buildings, memorials, honours boards and many other features of the school.
Durban High School for boys was founded in 1910 and known as the Day Continuation School, then Durban Technical High School(1916) and then Glenwood High School in 1934 when it was located in Glenwood. The school has a rich heritage in sporting, military, arts and commercial spheres. The school lost 25 former pupils in WWI and 120 during WWII and as such these losses have had a significant influence on the ethos of the school. The school with about 1300 pupils has a boarding establishment (Gibson House) today is still today considered a leading school in KZN and continues to turn out well rounded sporting,and academic scholars. This album features images of the grounds, facilities, museum memorabilia, historical items and the honours boards relating to former pupils and staff.
Meyrick Bennett house at 191 Chelmsford Road, is now an assessment centre, but was originally the house built by Meyrick Bennett in 1891. Bennett had arrived in Durban in 1875 and built this verandah house, which was designed by W Street Wilson, Architect. Bennett worked for Randles Brothers and Hudson, merchants. The house had veranda's on three sides, high up in Glenwood with views over the city. A billiard room was added in 1892 and the entrance gates onto Chelmsford Road in 1895. (Information from "The Street Wilson Drawing Collection" - Jacobs and Kearney 2016) The park and house has for many years been made over for public use, and is a popular meeting place for young families. The building is now used as an assessment and therapy centre for children. This album has images of the extensive gardens, exterior elevations, stain glass windows and interior, including the billard room.
This site includes images of St Mary's Church, Greyville Methodist Churches,Queens Tavern, Bowling Club, and a taste of some of the old buildings,many now used for commercial purposes. Also included are images of the Greyville Turf Club and some of the buidings in its surrounds like the Kendra Hall. The Turf Club is the home of the annual (Rothmans ) July and Gold Cup normally held in July.
Jack George Hollis. Richard was born in Scotland and arrived in Durban in the late 19th century from Australia. He and Cornelius were awarded the contract to build the City Hall and work began in 1905. At much the same time Hollis built a home for his family [which still exists] at 174 Florida Road. Jack Hollis founded the Clairwood Racecourse and was a keen racegoer. George later became mayor of Durban. This album has images of Hollis House in Morningside which was being restored at the time of the visit. The house had been severely burnt at one stage, restored and used recently as a restaurant. Hollis House was declared a Provincial Heritage site in 1996.
Immediately to the west of Durban North and to the west of the N2 lies the enormous sprawling township of Inanda. This album features an old sugar farmhouse on the top of Entafeleni which dominates the Inanda skyline on the western section of Inanda. This wrap around verandah homestead stands alone atop the mountain with panoramic views over Inanda and the distant city CBD. This area is also adjacent to Matikwe with the St Josephs Church and Mission school. Also included are images of some of the old dwellings on the northern slopes of Entafeleni.
The settlement was founded in 1904 by Gandhi and it was here that the "Indian Opinion" was printed until 1961. The settlement was always at the forefront for the struggle for justice, peace and equality. During the 1985 Inanda Riots most of the settlement was destroyed, but then reconstructed. Gandhi's house (Sarvodya), the printing press building (1903) and the Museum and Interpretative centre are featured here.
Inanda, to the North West of the Durban CBD was established during apartheid and was settled by the Indian and Black Communities. This album has images of the new development at Bridge City, some of the numerous churches scattered over the large township, images of the derelict original farm house and views giving some idea of Inanda's size.
This gallery has images of several of the churches scattered around Inanda, Amatikwe & Umzinyathi. The churches include Afrika Congregational Church (1951), Africa Gospel Church (Amatikwe), Shembe Church Headquarters, and Inanda Congregational Church (1849), formerly the Inanda American Board Mission. The Umzinyathi falls, a tributary of the Umgeni River is featured, as this is a revered place of the Rastafarian community.
Ohlange (the origin of new growth) Institute or formerly The Zulu Christain Industrial School was founden by Dr John L Dube in 1900. It opened on 26 July 1901 and is also the first home of the founder. The album has images of John Dubes home, the John Dube Hall, the new amphitheatre under construction, the present school and the graves and memorials of John Dube's wife and son. Nelson Mandela cast his first vote here in 1994 to commemorate and recognize the fact that John Dube was the first President of the ANC. There are also images of the nearby second house of J Dube.
Durban International Airport (formerly Louis Botha)was opened in 1951 to replace the Stamford Hill Aerodrome. The airport was originally named after Louis Botha, Boer General and then first Prime Minister of the Union. The name was changed in 1994. With the completion of King Shaka International airport in 2010, D.I. was closed to commercial air traffic. The airport at 29.58.07 S and 030.56.52 E at an elevation of 9m ASL was 2439m long. D.I. has also been home to the S.A.A.F. No 15 Squadron but there are now plans to redevelop this old airport into a dug out port. Virginia airport was opened in 1959 after moving from Stamford hill Aerodrome (control tower now home of Natal Mounted Rifles).The airport was named after the adjacent suburb of Virginia. The airport was opened by Mayor Shaw and has been used by training companies , aircraft maintenance operations and light aircraft operators servicing commuters. The airport 29.46.14S 031.03.30E at elevation 6m is 925m long running 05/23 with an asphalt runway.
Isipingo and Reunion are to the south of Durban. The larger area is commercial in nature and lies to the west of the N2. Of significance though is the burial site of Dick King who lived in this area (1813 - 1871). There is a memorial for the Isipingo Concentration Camp victims on the same burial site. To the East of the N2 is the industrial area and the residential ares bordering the Isipingo River. Reunion to the north of Isipingo is a trading zone serving mainly Umlazi.
This old neglected Cemetery situated behind the Dick King Cemetery has graves dating from as far back as the 1860\'s onwards. Families such as the Mack\'s , Platts, Nivens, Hillary, Burchill and Dennills are buried here.There is also the grave of Lt Dennis A Platt who died of wounds received at El Alemein on 23 October 1942. Sadly the cemetery is not looked after and some of the graves appear to have been raided.
Durban Light Infantry , a mechanised volunteer unit was formed in 1854. It has seen service In the Anglo Zulu & Boer Wars , SWA, Namibia,East Africa, WW1 & 2 , Bambatha and Burundi.The H.Q. in Durban\'s Marriot Road has a Drill Hall, Chapel of St Michael & St George, Officers Mess Clock Tower and other Memorabilia. The Regiment has affiliations with The Rifle Brigade (UK) and The Royal Green Jackets (UK)
Durban Marine Life Saving Club was founded in 1963 and is located on Addington Beach. Over the years it has provided an essential service to the bathing community and has been credited with saving many bathers. The Club has a proud record of competing in lifesaving events and continues to train and promote beach safety. The new club house and surf ski racks were opened in November 2010 The clubhouse which acts as a meeting place also has a coffee shop and houses much of the club memorabilia and honours boards.
Queensburgh & Malvern form part of the older south western part of Durban on the Old Main Road & railway. The gallery features the Queensburgh CBD and Station, the Weslyan Methodist Church (1909), Malvern Congregational Church ( 1911), Queensburgh Sports Club,and Malvern Shellhole. The Malvern Shellhole has a VC recipient in Lord Cheshire. Also in this gallery is Flame Lilly Park which is also site of the Rhodesian SAS Memorial and the Vernon Corbishley Centre.
Montclair (Mowat Park) to the south of Durban was originally farmland and developed as Durban expanded. The area is residential and home to many schools , Churches and sports clubs, most notably Durban Wanderers Club. Merebank West is also residential surrounded by industry but featuring temples and mosques.
this album has images of the St James Anglican Church in Venice road , the foundation stones of which were laid in 1902 by Sir Henry McCallum (Governor). The images include the exterior, interior, Garden of Remembrance, Rolls of Honour for WWI and WWII. The other feature of this album is the Audacia Manor lodge across the road from St James. This Mansion was built by the Chapman family in 1928 but is now an upmarket boutique hotel.
This large suburb of Durban has many iconic homes, and Schools. This gallery features the Kensington flats in Burman Drive, Mitchell Park, Goble, Nimmo, Trematon and North Ridge Roads. Featured also is Durban Preparatory High School, views of Springfield-Umgeni and the local athletic watering point of \"Fika Puza\".
The school was started in 1896 by the Presbyterian Church of Scotland in a house, with Rev. T Tonkin as the Headmaster. In 1906 the school was transferred to the N.E.D. and in 1910 the present building replaced the original house. In the 1930's the school became the dual medium Stamford Hill School. During WWII a Cellar and bomb shelter was built (see images - now a classroom) and the school cadets were inspected by Prime Minister Jan Smuts, In the 1960's the school became Natalia Premiere School bit it was closed in 1981. During 1981/2 the Hunt Road remedial school was moved and renamed Livingstone Primary School, a school for short term remedial pupils. The Durban City Council awarded the school their Conservation Award in 1989 to recognise the school's conservation efforts relating to the buildings. The school has expanded over the years and is held in high regard by Educationalists and former pupils.
Mt Edgecombe to the north of Durban was a sugar growing area centred around the mill. It is now a residential area and there is no trace of the old mill. Phoenix was in the past an Indian residential area and has a vibrant commercial area. There are also many religious sites, the most prominent being the Hari Krishna Temple that dominates the skyline.
Durban North to the north of the Umgeni River is a large sprawling residential & Commercial area. This album amongst others features the Beachwood Golf Course,Varsity College,Kensington ,Mackeurtan , Umhlanga Rocks Drive and La Lucia Mall Commercial zones. The album also has images of the Blackburn Road Catholic & Methodist Churches,Crusaders Club, DHS Old Boys, old Haig Road School (closed),Lady Fatima Convent and aerial photos of parts of Durban North.
The Japanese Gardens in Durban North were opened on 27 June 1963 and are managed by the Durban Parks and Gardens. These gardens with their Japanese garden theme are a popular picnic spot and the gardens have many Japanese shrubs and the paths wind around a series of pagodas and water features.
This area of Durban North to the West has featured, a church & cemetery in Effingham on Mhlangana Road, the Shree Ranganathal Temple, Kenville suburb houses and trading stores, Sea Cow Lake Temple & the Kenville Road Soofie Saheb Mosque. There are also some images of Avoca Road with some of the original wood & iron homes dating back to the 1800's.
Redhill Cemetery in Durban North covers a huge area just off North Coast Road. Contained herein are images of Military Monuments and Graves dating from WWII, SADF & Police Memorials, Chinese Merchant Navy graves, the Jewish Cemetery and monument and general views over this Municipal burial ground. There are also images of some pages from the Cemetery register which give one some idea of the causes of death. These important Journals are not cared for and should be digitized.
Northdene & North Park Nature Reserve derive their names from George and Elizebeth North who settled the area in the 1860\'s. North Park Nature Reserve which contains the North family graves was donated to the nation in 1969.The gallery also has images of the Northdene Station, Grace Baptist Church, Firwood Sports Club and some of the strip shops on the main road.
Durban's North Pier to the harbour was completed in February 2010 at a cost of R2.85 billion. The reason for the widening of the channel from 125m to 225m wide, (average width), was to allow for 9200 TEU vessels to enter the harbour. At the same time the channel was deepened from (on average) 12.8 m to 16m, and the new north groyn or pier extended by 550m. In order to absorb the sea energy, several methods were used, but the use of 20 ton Dolosse was extensively used. Dolosse are a South African invention. The credit for the design has always been given to the East London harbor engineer, Eric Merrifields, but the design was in fact that of draughtsman Aubrey Kruger, working in his office.
The Durban Old Fort was set up when British forces and Durban inhabitants were beseiged by the Boers in 1842. The Fort commemorates the ride to Grahamstown by Dick King (26 May 1842) to raise relief, has the St Peter in Chains Chapel, formerly the magazine, the Moths Museum and many other historical displays. Regrettably the site is being neglected by the Ethekweni Municipality and some of the exhibits in danger of dissapearing.
Old St Thomas Church in Ridge Road (Peter Mokaba) was started in 1864. The current church on site was built in May 1928 but a new Church which is currently used opened in 1899 in Musgrave Road. The church and Mission was started by Captain Allen Gardener R.N. who also named the area Berea. His daughter Julia lived close by and is buried here along with many original residents of the Berea area.
This album is the second album related to the old St Thomas Church in Ridge Road (Peter Mokaba) on the Berea. The first album features the Church and some of the graves, whilst this album covers the graves representing almost all the graves in this heritage cemetery. The graves include those of the Acutt family, Butchers, Vause, Tyrrell, Gardener, Innes, Currie and many other families all of whom featured in the development of early Durban.
Sherwood is a suburb on to the west of Durban astride the 45th cutting. The 45th cutting is so named as the cutting was constructed with pick and shovel by the Sherwood Foresters or 45th Regiment of Foot based there in the mid 1800'2. Also featured is the Jungle Nursery, Soofie Bhaijaan Dharbar Mosque and the St Theresa's Church.
This area of Durban consists of a mixed residential and business area with many of the old houses in Alpine and Quarry road now accommodating businesses. Much of the commercial land in Springfield is land reclaimed from the canalised banks of the Umgeni River. Alpine Road is a major arterial route linking up with Sydenham,Morningside and the Berea flanked by flats , houses and business outlets.There are also mosques and Temples in the area such as the Siva Subramanial Temple.
Stainbank Nature Reserve, in extent 253ha was formed in the 1940's by Kenneth Stainbank, a descendant of Derring Stainbank, who settled there in 1882. The reserve has walking trails, biking trails, a wide diversity of flora and picnic sites. Coedmore Castle and the Wilderness Leadership School buildings were part of the extensive structures built by the Stainbank family in 1885 ,and are well preserved. These buildings can be visited by appointment. The castle buildings also house sculptures of Mary Stainbank (Dering,s daughter) and some more contemporary works of art. The Castle was built by Scottish Stonemasons from Aberdeen from locally quarried stone.
This Gallery has a mixture of \"East\" meets West\" with for example the Randles Road Mohammedeya Musjid , the Bethal Congregational Church in Stanley Copley Drive, the St Johns & St Raphael\'s Church and Churchyard, Moslem Cemetery in Kennelworth Road and St Annes Catholic Prestbury. Added to the mix are the many Asian shops & businesses in Sparks, Randles & Brickfields roads.
The Howard Davis University College took its name from the commemoration of Howard Davis who was killed at the battle of the Somme in WWII.The foundation stone was laid by his mother, Mrs T.B.Davis in 1930. This Gallery has photos of the Howard College and other buildings, statue of King George V, Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre and the Silver Jubilee Gardens (1935) overlooking Durbans Glenwood and the harbour.
Durban - Umbilo, Resistance Park Monument was opened in 2002 by former presidents Thabo Mbeki and Nelson Mandela. The monument commemorates, with plaques and friezes, the 1913 Passive Resistance movement, 1956 Women\'s anti pass march, 1963 Rivonia trial, Robben Island, 1990 Mandela release and 1990 negotiations. Sadly this recent heritage site is already neglected with trees growing out of the structure.
Umgeni Road broadly follows the course of where the Umgeni River used to flow into the Durban Bay. Now however it is a busy access road into the CBD flanked by ribbon shops, and landmarks like the Britannia hotel, Lion Match factory, Kings Park Stadium, and the stunning Svea Alayam Hindu Temple all of which are featured in this gallery.
The Lion Match Factory was designed by Architects Ing and Jackson in 1925 and extended in 1926 and 1927. The factory was built for Hunt Leuchars and Hepburn to make the iconic Lion Match Brand. The factory was moved to Johannesburg and was then used for commercial purposes. Around 2015 the property owned by JT Ross, a local property developer, undertook a major makeover of the premises into mainly offices, with tenants like Ogilvy and long time tenants Jonssons Clothing.
Umbilo, to the south of the Durban CBD is a mixture of small residences,churches and commercial businesses. There are many churches such as the St Cyprians Anglican Church, Hellenic Church, Umbilo D.R.C. and hotel establishments like the Willowvale Hotel. Also included are images of the derelict Congella Sports Club.This gallery gives a taste of the local Umbilo community.
St Cyprians Anglican Church founded in 1867 is presently in Umbilo Road. The church has majestic arches and many stain glass windows adding to its beauty. The interior has plaques commemorating the Soldiers who died in the Boer War from the Natal Naval Corps and commemorations to its past serving clergy. The Church was originally established in 1867 based in Pine Terrace which was to become Commercial Road. In 1877 the Foundation Stone was laid for the new Smith Street Church (410 - 416 Smith Street)on the site of the present day Hub. In 1939 the church moved to Congella and in 1940 the present Church was opened and the Parish Hall in 1954. The Garden of Remembrance was established in 1960.
This album features the Bergthiel Museum, the oldest house in Westville that dates back to the mid 1800's. It is named after a German settler Jonas Bergthiel who brought out the original settlers to New Germany. The museum features memorabilia, information displays and rooms and equipment dating back to this era. This album also features some of the more modern Westville with images of St Elizabeth's Church, Winston Churchill Shellhole, Westville Catholic Church, CBD buildings, Country Club and Westville Hotel.
This Gallery in Windemere has images of the homes in the area and also includes images of places like the Greyville Presbyterian Church, Sutton Park Pool & Gordon Road School. Many of the homes in the area have been converted to commercial use and many have been torn down for structures like the Windemere centre.